Tinnitus Hell After Naturopathic Doctor Gave Me an Unknown Depot Injection

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Curadh, Apr 2, 2022.

1. Curadh
      Depressed

Curadh Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Depot injection
      Hi everyone,

I certainly have a huge respect for anyone going through this. I've been ill since the AstraZeneca vaccination 14 months ago, but never had tinnitus albeit lots of other problems.

I went to a naturopathic doctor about 3 weeks ago who said my hypothalamus was damaged and I needed to boost that part of the brain, so gave me a depot injection that lasts 14 days. I woke the next day with extreme headache and and stiff neck, face aching. On the evening I got the injection, I had experienced like pins being stuck into my left ear. Over the following days I began to notice this high pitched sound like when a firework goes off too close to your ear, or when someone switches on a TV or computer monitor.

It's not going away - alongside that, my ears seem to pop when i speak or turn my head. In addition, my joints are popping and cracking the whole time with any movement. I asked the guy about it, and he pretty much dodged the question, wouldn't even tell me what was in the injection. I know it must be ototoxic, but I wonder if it will fade away, and with it the tinnitus. I pray this is short term, I am losing what's left of my mind.

Over the past week it feels like it has intensified. It is there night and day. I can't hear my own thoughts anymore. Even when I pray it is constantly taking my thoughts. I have white noise on headphones right now as I type, and I can still hear it above the noise. I have been quite low over the past 14 months as I have slowly lost my life to the vaccine injury, but this on top now after 14 months has really made me despair. I am not getting out of bed anymore with the depression and was close to phoning mental health services on Friday last.

Anyone know if this can be temporary? I am trying N-Acetyl Cysteine NAC 1800 mg a day to reduce brain inflammation if that is the cause.

Any advice very very very welcome, appreciate your time and kindness.

• Hug Hug x 5
    2. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      I'm sorry you're experiencing this.

So I'm clear... did you mean Depo-Provera?

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    3. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Single 25 mg dose of (anticholinergic) drug Promethazine
      Hi @Curadh -- So sorry to hear about this turn of events for you.

As far as what this guy gave you, you absolutely have a right to know what was in that injection. And I think you should be assertive about it. If you knew, you might be able to get ideas on how to possibly counteract it. I sincerely hope things get better for you--and soon!

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Hi @Curadh, and welcome to the forum.

I am sorry to know that you are having a lot of difficulty with tinnitus at the moment. This on top of not feeling well after having the AstraZeneca vaccination 14 months ago is a lot to cope with.

The injection you received from the naturopathic doctor might have caused an adverse reaction which resulted in the onset of the tinnitus, in addition to causing the other symptoms you mention: headaches, stiff neck, aching face etc.

Since the doctor has chosen not to comment this isn't helpful and leaves you wondering what to do. Hopefully with time the tinnitus will reduce along with the other symptoms. Try speaking to the doctor again and ask what was the injection he gave you. I think you deserve an answer because he had no qualms charging you for his services and taking your money.

If he still dodges the question you might be thinking to seek legal representation to see where you stand. My advice is to think very carefully about pursuing this route, because it would be difficult to prove the injection caused the tinnitus or the other symptoms. It is also difficult to prove anyone in the medical field of malpractice.

Were you ever a regular user of headphones, earbuds, AirPods, or headsets? I ask this because the most common cause of tinnitus is exposure to loud noise and typically, it's listening to audio through these devices at too high a volume without realizing it.

If you were a regular user of headphones etc, the tinnitus might have been lying dormant in the background at low level undetected by your brain which is quite possible. The stress you have been under for many months after the AstraZeneca vaccine and now the recent injection you have had, could have brought the tinnitus to the forefront of your mind. I am not saying this is the case, but stress is known to make tinnitus worse and bring on the onset of the condition.

Whilst you might be finding some relief listening to white noise through your headphones, my advice is not to do this even at low volume. Please don't try to mask the tinnitus or cover it up with sound so it can't be heard. More about this is explained in the links below that I suggest you read.

Listen to low level sound enrichment using a sound machine during the day and especially at night. Please read my posts: New to Tinnitus, What to Do? Tinnitus, A Personal View in the links below.

Hope you start to feel better soon.

All the best,
      Michael

New to Tinnitus, What to Do? | Tinnitus Talk Support Forum
      Tinnitus, A Personal View | Tinnitus Talk Support Forum

5. CC_16

CC_16 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Upper respiratory infection
      Why would you get an injection in you without knowing what it is?

I don’t understand you at all.

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Curadh
      Depressed

Curadh Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Depot injection
      Hi again,

Thanks a lot for all your responses, appreciated. I confronted the doctor and got some answers. He is a nice person but what can I do if I've been injured, it's rather awkward. I had vitamins in the injection he says, Glutathione, Vitamin C, Uncaria tomentosa, CoQ10, and Acetylcholine. Out of these I can only make out the Acetylcholine may have constricted damaged vessels in my neck accounting for the radiating pain into head and face, possibly affecting structures important for Eustachian tube functioning etc in that left ear. I think there may be an interaction happening between structures of my neck C1-C7, which may be interacting with vessel dysfunction, or autoimmune problems, who knows. My left ear kind of pops as I talk or if I move my head a certain way, I can't help but feel there has been a hardening of structures that pull on the ear canal, that's what it feels like or sounds like. It is driving me mad, I know that much. I've been doing my best to focus on other noises, it helps zone out from the tinnitus.

@CC_16 - I would be religious about what is going into my body usually but this guy said to trust him, just regular safe and effective homeopathic treatments (I'm fed up hearing that phrase, all the damage it has done to me).

Thanks a lot @Michael Leigh for your long welcoming post, taking the time to write, I am very used to loud music, 40 years of playing really loud music and zero problems in fact loved it, used construction tools no problems even though would always wear protection for really high pitch damaging tools like a jackhammer. The one and only time I had a problem was for about a week after the initial vaccine, I'd describe the pain or feeling (it wasn't that painful esp compared to the other stuff going on) as like as if something was pulling my ear canal downwards inside. It cleared up after a week and my hear has been perfect since getting this injection. Maybe there is viral activity around the ear that this new injection has irritated or unsettled, causing the initial problems again, I don't know. It's been bloody complex all in all.

• Hug Hug x 1
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Curadh
      Depressed

Curadh Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Depot injection
      I don't know if this is relevant - ate a couple of bars of chocolate last night and my tinnitus is extremely loud today. It woke me up at 8 am. Is it possible the chocolate inflamed the condition? That maybe the tinnitus is a symptom of inflammation? I went out and bought NAC. Took 1200 mg an hour ago so we will see.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    8. ajc

ajc Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2002; spike 2009; worse 2017-18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music - noise damage
      Chocolate does spike some people's tinnitus, but never permanently.

• Like Like x 2
    9. MindOverMatter

MindOverMatter Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown (possibly stress related, and later sound induced)
      @Curadh, refined sugar in general spikes many people's tinnitus levels temporarily. Sugar is a well known trigger, and is also fuel for inflammations.
      But as mentioned above, this doesn't cause any permanent damage at all - unless you would make it to a habit.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    10. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Hi Curadh,

Thank you for your kind comments. I know you are going through a difficult time so it was a pleasure to try and give you some advice.

Since you have been around loud sounds for many years and haven't been affected by tinnitus, it's possible that something in the injection the doctor gave you didn't agree with your body, this can happen but proving this I believe would be difficult. I hope you start to feel better with time and suggest you keep away from loud sounds and don't use any type of headphones, as they might aggravate your tinnitus.

Chocolate can spike tinnitus for some people and I've noticed this myself. To be fair I was overindulging at the time and shouldn't but I can live with that.

Go out if you can and have a good time just be careful of loud noise.

Take care,
      Michael

• Like Like x 3
    11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Curadh
      Depressed

Curadh Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Depot injection
      Thank you Michael. I am clinging to hope it is transient, to do with inflammation. I tried those ear candles this evening to no avail as expected. My hunch is that the Acetylcholine in the injection did the opposite of its intended effect. It's been shown in a lot of us there is endothelial damage, that is the lining of blood vessels have been compromised. Studies show in that scenario Acetylcholine, instead of dilating to improve flow and healing, it constricts in those vessels.

I've had pain in that side of my neck and into my face since Day 1, my hunch is there is a problem there either with misalignment or vessel problems, as it seems to worsen with increased pressure (like exercise).

Who knows but I am going to get a Doppler test done privately, and a CT scan of the cervical spine, then visit either an acupunturist or chiro. (I have a suspicion most of you have been down these roads without success but I guess that's part of the tinnitus journey).

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    12. TomBradyGOAT

TomBradyGOAT Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Who knows
      I would be careful of chiropractors. I am sorry I don't believe in it. You seem like someone who does deal with regular doctors. I don't blame you. I don't think they can help. Just saying be weary of "natural" methods. Hypothalamus damage doesn't even sound close to be anything real, unless you had some kind and of TBI. Maybe a massage therapist, to get the muscles to untighten, but also to lower stress from this. Sorry, nice people can still cause damage.

• Agree Agree x 1
    13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Curadh
      Depressed

Curadh Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Depot injection
      Thanks for your reply. No change now for about 5 weeks I think. I have tried NAC 2g a day for over a week now. I am also experiencing Eustachian tube dysfunction, because my left ear is making noises as I speak or even whisper. It also happens if I tilt my head over to the right shoulder.

I am starting to believe the tinnitus may be a result of inflamed tendons and joints all over. I am going to try seek the advice of an orthopedic doctor.

14. Chris S.

Chris S. Member

Tinnitus Since:
      February 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Exposure to loud sound; Pfizer vaccine
      I would stay away from NAC. It made my severe tinnitus even more severe. That was 4 months ago (I took 1200 mg for two nights) and there has been no improvement - only gradual worsening.

• Informative Informative x 1
    15. tpj
      Sad

tpj Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      probably noise
      Do you or does anyone know why that might be?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    16. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Curadh
      Depressed

Curadh Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Depot injection
      Just wanted to update, I have had no improvement in my tinnitus.

• Hug Hug x 5