Tinnitus + Hyperacusis After COVID-19 Infection — Prednisone Isn't Helping, What Else Can I Try?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by NuKe, Apr 11, 2022.

1. NuKe

NuKe Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      COVID Infection
      Hi,

The nightmare is back... and this time in both ears.

Let me explain my story:
      When I was 17 years old (I am now 33) a firecracker exploded very close to my left ear, which left me with tinnitus and hyperacusis. Somehow, over months to a couple of years, I was pretty much recovered. No trace of hyperacusis and I was left with a slight tinnitus that I had to concentrate to hear it.

All good... until a few days ago. 9 days ago I was infected by COVID-19 and a couple of days later I started to develop tinnitus in both ears, as well as hyperacusis and some vertigo.

The sound of the tinnitus is quite loud, in both ears, like an electrical buzz (white noise) but also in the right ear I hear an extra sound as if someone with a wet finger touches a glass in circles on the edge of it. Sometimes I also notice pulsatile tinnitus in both ears.

Sleeping is becoming very difficult and complicated. I am afraid that this situation will affect me in every way. Both in my family and work life.

The doctors, so far, have prescribed me Prednisone for 7 days. It's been 6 now and I haven't noticed any improvement. Should I be worried? In a couple of days I have to visit the ENT doctor again...

The hope I got right now is that if my body was able to heal from the acoustic trauma years ago; this time it can do the same even if this time it's due to a damn COVID-19 infection.

I am under a Pregabaline treatment for 3 months now due to having some pain in my legs. I do not know if Pregabaline can worsen tinnitus somehow.

In any case, I would appreciate any advice since my condition is quite recent, I don't know if I should start taking vitamins, Turmeric or anything else after the Prednisone. Any recommendation or advice will be more than welcome.

Thank you.

• Hug Hug x 2
    2. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Welcome to the forum. Tinnitus from COVID-19 is something new among various causes of tinnitus so there may not be enough case studies on how long tinnitus will stay after a COVID-19 patient is healed from COVID-19. You can try do a search on the forum on anything related to COVID-19 and just to get an idea. In the mean time try stay positive and calm as stress and anxiety are not good for tinnitus. You try to avoid triggering the limbic nervous system from taking over which can cause the fight or flight reaction. Do relaxing exercises and try to live normally. The body hopefully will be habituated to the ringing over time if you don't react emotionally to the ringing. Need to give the body time to recover. So don't get too anxious as best as you humanly can. Try masking if it bothers you. Take care. God bless.

3. LilCC

LilCC Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Exposure to loud noises
      From my experience COVID-19 can exacerbate inflammation in the body, so even if your injuries were healed, I doubt they ever fully healed 100%. I had injuries on my shoulder and hands that were almost “healed” but as soon as I got COVID-19 the pain and the injuries went back to square one. Now this has been my personal experience, I’m not saying it applies to all injuries, but COVID-19 definitely can make hidden illness or injuries come back, or it’s the trigger to many illnesses/injuries.

• Like Like x 2
    4. JavierBR

JavierBR Member

Tinnitus Since:
      15-04-2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Vacuna AstraZeneca
      Hello, first of all I wish you a lot of strength and hopefully with time we will have more research and there will be more solutions.

My case is tinnitus and hyperacusis after a COVID-19 vaccine (AstraZeneca). I have been like this since March 2021.

I have been seen by many professionals, from ENT doctors, audiologists to neurologists.

They gave me 25 mg Amitriptyline and I'm doing well.

If you have any questions, you can ask me.

All the best!

• Hug Hug x 1