Tinnitus, Hyperacusis, Ear Pain Started a Week After Contracting COVID-19

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Healing, Mar 30, 2021.

1. Healing

Healing Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Covid
      Hi everyone, wanted to introduce myself.

My name is Dan, I'm 53 years old and living in the UK. I have a wife and 2 x teenage kids.

Around Christmas 2020 I contracted COVID-19 and a week later started having tinnitus - about 5/10.

It since dropped significantly to around 1/10 - mainly whooshing sounds, occasional high pitch screech. But it's accompanied by ear pain and hyperacusis (both ears - left is worse) .

I was told by a neurologist that my Cranial 8 nerve (auditory) was affected - not sure how, I think it was an auto-immune response and possibly demyelination (this idea was from another doctor - but not sure anyone knows for sure).

I'm managing the pain with a hot water bottle - seems to help.

I'm managing the noise with heavy duty Noise Cancelling Headphones.

When I go outside I cover my face - I find that the cold air aggravates the symptoms. It seems to be radiating pain across my face, into my teeth.

But my main hope is fasting - there are many studies that show neuro regeneration through extended fasting. My longest is 7 days water fasting.

I'm also eating Keto when not fasting and to reduce inflammation I'm eating a vegan diet, with the exception of fish - otherwise it would be impossible to have enough vegan food that's 1. Low in Glutamate and 2. High in fat and protein.

I think the vegan diet is helping... not a knockout kind of help, but gradual.

When not fasting I take these supplements:

1. PQQ
      2. NAC
      3. Turmeric
      4. Fish Oils
      5. Magnesium
      6. Ginkgo biloba (just before bed)

I also heard that L-Theanine helps with Glutamate so I take that and Taurine occasionally if the tinnitus gets higher.

So that's me... on a healing journey here, but very much work in progress.

Take care everyone, wishing you all the best, and of course any advice and knowledge you have would be gratefully received.

Dan

• Hug Hug x 3
      • Like Like x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    2. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Welcome to the forum. You are managing your health challenges and tinnitus quite well with your positive and proactive stance. This will help the recovery process. Keep up the good works. Take care. God bless.

3. Robster
      Irritated

Robster Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Jan 2021 MRI, Worsened Nov 2021 Vaccine, Oct 2023 Smoke Alar
      @Healing, sorry to hear about your issues. I'm also new to tinnitus & hyperacusis and considering fasting. Did you notice any differences in your condition whilst fasting?

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Healing

Healing Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Covid
      @Robster, yes but it's a gradual thing, and needs to be assisted with lifestyle changes to help the nerve heal.

If you're thinking about fasting, I'd join a group on Facebook because it does carry a few risks - well worth it IMO. I'm part of "Fasting and Autophagy".

I see your cause of tinnitus is acoustic trauma - MRI. is this because the MRI was loud? I had a head scan about a month ago and it was very loud but they gave me earplugs and some pads for the ears and it didn't aggravate my problem.

5. Robster
      Irritated

Robster Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Jan 2021 MRI, Worsened Nov 2021 Vaccine, Oct 2023 Smoke Alar
      @Healing, yes my tinnitus was caused by the MRI noise. I just had the earmuffs. I honestly believe if I had had earplugs as well I would have been ok.