Tinnitus Increase With Cold, Clogged Ears, Doctor's Suggestion?

Discussion in 'Dr. Stephen Nagler (MD)' started by Rayden151, Feb 2, 2015.

1. Dr. Nagler is not answering questions.
    Dismiss Notice
    1. Rayden151

Rayden151 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Dear Dr. Nagler,

I have also posted this on the support group on the forum, but would like to ask your view on this case as an expert.

What would you suggest when while having a cold/flu, your ears are getting clogged by the day, you are not able to pop your ears anymore, and ears are starting to hurt (sharp pain)? Tinnitus has increased and due the clogged ears you hear muffled (probably very thick mucus in middle ear, feels so, but not sure). Probably ETD plays a role.
      GP thinks of middle ear fluid as a cause of the cold/flu and no otitis media.

Are there any of you that experienced such a case and what did you do? Treatment?
      There are so many options, and also the option to do nothing.
      Are there people that started Augmentin, or predisone to unclogg ears?

What do you think Dr. Nagler? Thanks in advance for your view.

2. Dr. Nagler

Dr. Nagler Member Clinician Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      Well, I'm not an ENT - but I myself had the exact same set of symptoms a while back. The sharp pain told me that my eardrums were under tension and at potential risk of perforation. So I made an urgent appointment with my own ENT, which is precisely what I'd suggest for you. Call your ENT's office and see if you can get in within the next day or two - tell the appointment secretary that it feels like your eardrums might perforate due to the pressure. They'll likely find a place to fit you in between patients.

Hope this helps.

stephen nagler