Tinnitus Increase with Potassium Chloride Pills

Discussion in 'Support' started by BSK99, Feb 10, 2018.

1. BSK99

BSK99 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      New to Tinnitus Talk. My tinnitus has slowly increased since removal of a cancerous thyroid. I have also had a low Potassium level that natural foods have not taken care of.

Last week - I went on Potassium Chloride pills for 7 days to "jump" start the Potassium. Three days in - the tinnitus jumped up 10x the rate it had been.

Other threads on here suggest that Potassium could lower the tinnitus. I appear to be just the opposite.

In looking at medical web sites to show interaction with all the meds I take - none seem to show tinnitus.

Anyone else have problems with increased tinnitus when taking Potassium - even for a short time?

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      I don't know the potential interaction with tinnitus, but Potassium is a key element in the fluid contained in the cochlea, and plays a key role in the sensory process.

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. devonlee
      Badass

devonlee Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing Loss of Unknown Origin
      As a nurse, I've never had a patient complain of this. Like Greg said, Potassium is a key mineral and is dosed based specifically on your blood levels.

It may benefit you to go and have your blood work checked even if the 7 day course isn't complete. It's possible that your Potassium levels are now to high, or that the dose of Potassium you're being given still isn't sufficient and that your Potassium levels remain quite low.

4. MJ625

MJ625 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2003 and then 2018.
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Medications
      I also took Potassium Chloride and my tinnitus has been insane for 2 weeks now.

Did your tinnitus level return to baseline? I'm scared if this is permanent.

• Hug Hug x 1
    5. twa
      Busy

twa Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2017- mild /Sept. 2020-moderate
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      meds/acoustic trauma
      @Ben Winders, isn't this interesting? Aren't the bananas you are eating everyday high in Potassium?