Tinnitus Is Changing — And Some Ear Pain

Discussion in 'Support' started by meeruf, Mar 27, 2014.

1. meeruf
      Badass

meeruf Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Diving
      Hi guys. Today is my 7 month anniversary with my beloved brain music. I got it 27. August 2013. :D

I have noticed the last weeks that my tinnitus have started to change. Before it was mostly a white noise-ish sound. Now it's more a clean high-pitch tone. Every time it goes to a clean tone ear pain comes along with it. The pain is sometimes inside the ear, other times behind the ear. I have also noticed that the ear pain sometimes radiate out in my arm and fingertips.

I have normally pretty high pain threshold. Some types of pain I actually like. But this pain is different. It's actually quite uncomfortable. :eek: I don't think it has any link to sound (hyperacusis). It just comes and goes randomly.

I went to my doctor. He gave me Sarotex. Its an old AD that they use for chronic-pain today. It did not help, it only made me feel really tired and shitty the next day ( I had to take them before bedtime).

So, any ideas?

2. Stina
      Psychedelic

Stina Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/13
      Maybe the problem is elsewhere and you should visit a neurologist? If you have pain in your arms and fingers it might be smth else. Couldnt hurt to find a good doc.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      meeruf
      Badass

meeruf Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Diving

I will wait it out. I just had a lot of blood tests done by my doctor. Nothing weird was found. I'm just curios if someone else here have the same stuff.

4. Cassidy
      Wishful

Cassidy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress Overdrive
      Hi meeruf,

It's funny that you mention this. I have had tinnitus since 10/2010 and habituated to it within 1 year, but now just over 1 month ago it got louder and additionally started affecting my left ear which had previously been unaffected. The tone is different in the left ear as well. At the moment the loudness and tones keep changing every few days, but I am also getting random ear pains just behind my ear which hurt quite a bit but only last a few seconds (doesn't radiate though into my arms), as well as fleeting tinnitus. Not sure what this is, haven't experience it before but will monitor it as well.

Weird that the pain is behind the ear - could it be something to do with the structure of our ears?? Maybe an MRI could check this out?

All the best & take care of yourself!

5. cullenbohannon
      Thinking

cullenbohannon Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      meeruf
      Badass

meeruf Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Diving
      Yeah, I feel pressure in my ear sometimes. Btw, I have only problems with my right ear. Left ear is totally fine. I just have tinnitus in right ear. Nothing in left ear. I got it after diving last summer. I lost my high pitch hearing in right ear too. I'm totally deaf after 8khz. My audiogram goes down like a base jumper after 8khz.

And, I only have tinnitus when it's not silent. Yeah, it's fucked up. My tinnitus spikes to madness by everything above shopping mall volume. When I get back in, in silence. It fades away to almost nothing.

Just for the record. I'm not bothered by tinnitus anymore. Anxiety and stress is long gone. I don't care. :)

Sometimes I fantasize about escaping to Thailand and become a fucking monk. Then I can just sit in a silent temple everyday meditating and get food for free. (y) The jungle soundscape would be a pretty awesome masker too!

• Funny Funny x 1
    7. Miss lavender

Miss lavender Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/01/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Virus
      Wow Meeruf,
      Finally have found somebody who experiences what I do. Strangely enough my tinnitus is so much bettering silence. Too much noise around my tinnitus makes it worse rather than masking it. I have always wondered why this is the case?

Peace to all. X

8. cullenbohannon
      Thinking

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      I have regular t and I had that for a while but it has died down a bit. As far as the pain and pressure it could be the same thing I have. Mine gets better when I rest it a few days. Great to hear your t doesn't bother you! I'm getting there it's encouraging seeing others who are doing well.

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      meeruf
      Badass

meeruf Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Diving
      Yeah, I don't react to my tinnitus anymore. Neither in a positive or negative way. It's just there. It's neutral for me most of the time.

However, every time I go out with friends. I tend to get pretty pissed off when I talk to a girl, and I get distracted because of a madness spike. Sometimes I'm sure I look like I don't care about what people say, or that it looks like I just got an unexpected dildo up my asshole.

One thing is interesting about my brain tho. I'm at work now. I have an air condition hanging on the wall. It's always on and pretty loud too. Much louder then my tinnitus. But I never think or notice that sound. Weird...

• Like Like x 1
    10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      meeruf
      Badass

meeruf Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Diving
      Yeah. I'm sure there is a lot of us. I think reverb may be the cause.

I can blast music in my headphones pretty loud with no spike. But a shopping mall is catastrophic. I think that high pitch noises like clirring, running water, dishes hitting tables, cutlery, mechanical sounds etc mixed with reverb is the ultimate ear-rapist for me.

11. cullenbohannon
      Thinking

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      Haha I can imagine about getting a spike while trying to pick up a girl lol. I would go into panic mode most likely. Good point with the air conditioner though. I have my ac blasting in the summer and it never bothers me and is super loud.