Tinnitus Is Less Noticeable When I Wear Earplugs — What Is This!?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Ehren M, Feb 26, 2021.

1. Ehren M
      Nerdy

Ehren M Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/24/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      Dear Tinnitus Talk Peeps,

I'm not sure what to think of my symptoms at this point. It has been a month now since the onset of my tinnitus, which happened due to a brief exposure to loud high-pitched noise.

My symptoms went from being a mixture of hissing/steam sounds plus different tones during the first 2 weeks to mostly just high-pitched hissing, but with tones once in a while. In quiet places, and when I put in earplugs, the sounds are much quieter, almost unnoticeable, compared to when I'm around droning sounds (like air conditioning etc.). Immediately after taking earplugs out, tinnitus sounds are much more quiet for me. After having plugs out for some time, a static sound arises when I hear myself breathe, and I have to say that static sound is the most disturbing of the symptoms I experience. I don't seem to have any hyperacusis, i.e. negative reactions to harsh sounds, so I really don't know what to call this condition. Is it even tinnitus? From a clinical perspective, it seems important to know whether someone's tinnitus depends on the input of external sound or not, right?

Would love to hear some perspectives on this (and ideas on whether treating this with white noise might be useful or harmful for me -- I've seen published papers leaning both directions!).

Much love to ya'll!

2. martinberryhorse

martinberryhorse Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Aug 5, 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      One hard cough
      I experience the same thing. I think it's the brain competing with other sounds that makes the tinnitus sound louder. Take away outside sounds and it won't have anything to compare the tinnitus to so it sounds quieter.

• Like Like x 1
    3. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      @Ehren M, try not over use earplugs even if you think they are helping you as your ears will become over sensitive to sound over time and cause added problems for you.

Love,
      Glynis

• Like Like x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Ehren M
      Nerdy

Ehren M Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/24/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      Thanks, Glynis.

I'll follow your advice. I certainly don't want to cause myself to develop hyperacusis.

Be well :)

• Hug Hug x 1
    5. Beg321

Beg321 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL
      I’m new to tinnitus and just reading this post. I also find my tinnitus is much quieter at times if the surround is quiet? Like when I get up the first 10-30 minutes of most days it’s quiet. Also if I sit in my living room and the TV is off, but the Sky box is making that minor humming noise, my tinnitus appears to be quieter.

In most other settings apart from the shower it’s very loud.

Anyone care to shed any light on this? Is this normal?