Tinnitus Loud and Not Loud

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by mike, Apr 7, 2012.

1. mike

mike Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1 1/2 months
      I have had T for the last 2 months.Every week for the first month it would go away for 1 day.Now every week for the 2 month its goes away for three days during the week.What I mean buy going away is I know it is there but not loud at all.The other days it is just as loud as it can be.It will go the whole day with being fine. But when I go to sleep that night and wake up during the night it is just roaring again.Happening to anybody else.Any thoughts on this.

2. calin
      Inspired

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2011
      Mine is louder in bed and about an hour or two or threes after waking.

3. mock turtle

mock turtle Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/26/1992...habituated after 2 years; 11/04/11 new outbreak
      often my tinnitus is loudest soon after waking up in the morning

i have read that more than a few other people have experienced this effect

i dont know why but guess that after a night of quiet, tinnitus rules the auditory cortex...then as we fill our ears with sound, T gets somewhat marginalized in terms of the brains attention to it...just guessing

4. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      I must be the odd-man out on this one! My tinnitus is worst in the late afternoon and evening. It's so bad in the evening most nights that the only way I can watch T.V. is to use a headset with sound masking (actually, I use the UST for this purpose). In the morning, I experience some relief. I know the tinnitus is there, but it isn't bothersome. Don't know why!

5. calin
      Inspired

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2011
      Gosh,... just goes to show ya that there is more to tinnitus than we seem to know about. 50 million people probably don't all have the same reasons for the T. Sure hope that the researchers can find a pill.... SOON!

6. Karl

Karl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2011
      Mike -
      Consider yourself fortunate that it comes and goes. Perhaps it will go away. I know one person who had tinnitus for 6 months, then it went away.

My tinnitus is the least in the morning. After wearing maskers all day, it is loud when I take them off at 6:00 pm.

I had a strange experience 2 weeks ago: I got up at 2:30 am to take my daughters to the airport. When I woke up, I didn't hear my tinnitus. I told my wife, and she basically ripped my head off, - like "Big deal!". (People without tinnitus have no idea what it's like. To her, she thinks it's "a little sound in my head".)

After about an hour, my "T" came back loud and clear.

7. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      Karl,
      I hope the trend continues for you! I wonder if there's any chance your sound maskers are helping to cure (or alleviate) your tinnitus, little by little? I will say that, since blood pressure, etc. is lower in the middle of the night, that might explain the silence to some extent. I've noticed that my pulsating is much less when I wake up in the middle of the night.

Right now, it's about 5:30 P.M., and my tinnitus is at an almost unbearable level, with a feeling of fullness/pressure, to boot. About the only thing I can do is to distract myself and wait it out.

I hope those researchers hurry up and find us a tried-and-true cure -- and the sooner, the better!

8. Garye
      Thinking

Garye Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ??
      Yes a magic wand would be so nice !! About a month in with this bloody T in right ear. Awful days...and some good ones....makes it tough to get used to.. example the last 2 days felt like things were on the mend...controllable....not really noticeable .....even gone.... ...my senses...my body...everything starts to automatically shift back to positive optimistic feelings...tension slips away. And then this morning..as soon as I wake up....the damn high pitched T is there again! . btw mine doesn't seem to come from major hearing loss,just a little low frequency loss in affected ear...and no acoustic trauma ...for sure there has been some stress in my life..maybe related??. Made it 59 years and never even thought about my ears or my brain doing this to me ! Hope I get another good day(s) soon ! Good luck to all you fellow sufferers...I feel your pain folks !

9. brotherdday

brotherdday Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/12/2015
      I have had T for a month. Woke up two nights in a row with ringing in right error. The second night I just panicked and anxiety took over. Now a fairly constant ringing in right ear and some ringing in left ear at the worse times. Kind of getting the anxiety under control and sometimes when I barely hear the T I feel in total control but once it kicks in the anxiety follows. From what I have read on here it can often go away or fade in time. I will be trying Acupuncture since my ENT recommended if I try anything I try thAt. My blood pressure is also very high so I am hoping that getting that in control will help since high BP is one of the many causes of T. My biggest fear is of it getting worse. If I have to I can live with the current level. Mine seems worse when I settle in at night to watch tv and when I lie down to fall asleep. During The period in between where I am falling asleep sitting up the T fades and sometimes disappears and I sleep really good for like 2 hours. But once I lie down to sleep for the night it comes back and it effects me the rest of the night. It is there in the morning but I make myself go to the gym to work out by 5:00 am since I could never sleep in anyway. I have not given up hope of this going away completely. also seems like research moving along but nothing ever happens fast enough. I think with so many vets coming down with this it will speed research. And I do realize how much the mental game is ......while typing this long winded post it I did not notice the T. Sorry about the long post. Best wishes to all!

10. Garye
      Thinking

Garye Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ??
      Yeah the fluctuations in volume are really hard. Just when you think your getting better...it gets noisy again....... From the sounds of it T brought on by underlying anxiety and or depression,stress etc....and not hearing loss..... does have a better chance of getting better if the stress is properly dealt with. Which is easier said than done !!

11. Garye
      Thinking

Garye Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ??
      got to keep hoping and trying to get used to the worst times