Tinnitus Loudness When Listening To Other Things

Discussion in 'Support' started by Louise, Feb 4, 2013.

1. Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      29/06/2012 worsened Jan 2017 & Dec 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      One of my biggest problems with T is that when I try to relax and watch TV in the evening the T gets in the way. what I mean is that I can hear it in the lulls in conversation etc of whatever I'm watching. Its sort of like I can hear it over the top of the TV programme. Last night I turned over from a film I wanted to watch as there were too many quiet bits in it.

Do other people get this? If so what do people do, try to ignore the T and focus on the TV?

2. Sen
      Caffeine

Sen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      dunno
      i have this issue. i solve it by using sound enrichment. i always have pink noise or nature sounds coming through my surround sound while i'm watching tv or listening to music. it doesn't mask the T, not by a long shot, but it creates contrast, which makes it easier to focus on other things.

obviously i'd rather not have to do this, but life isn't fair.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    3. Map
      Balanced

Map Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2003 (mild), 12/2012 (loud), 11/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      I have the same problem. That's one of the main reasons why I don't like to do things I loved to do before. I don't watch TV or movies, I don't even listen to my favourite music albums anymore. Because there are too many T-filled gaps everywhere now.

I tried listen to whole music album with some white noise in the background, but I don't enjoy it that way much.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Its not just me then. I didnt have this problem when it first started, its happened since it got louder.
      On another post I noticed that Markku said he could hear his T over the top of the music he was playing, I have that too. It must be a matter of getting used to it?

I wondered if the over the ear white noise generators might help.

• Creative Creative x 1
    5. Karl

Karl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2011
      When I first go tinnitus, I found it hard to listen to music. Music has always meant a lot to me. I was taking jazz guitar lessons when I got tinnitus, and I quit. I just couldn't deal with lessons anymore.

My wife and I like to listen to music and drink beer at 5:00 on Saturday and Sunday. I remember once putting on a Kirk Franklin CD, and I almost wanted to cry, because of the tinnitus. I missed not being able to "hear it all".

But with time, I'm getting use to it. It just become like rain on roof, like a part of the background. This weekend I played piano, ignoring the "T". I read books, too, and it's not a problem. I find it hardest to watch TV, and I'm not sure why.

6. erik
      Cool

erik Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      Hi Louise, yes I think it is a matter of getting used to it. For months I could hear the T above almost everything when I focus on it (and how could I not at that point) but then as I started to get more used to it, though I could still hear it when doing things like listening to music or watching TV, I could ignore it and that is pretty much what I do to this day. I hear it, sometimes it annoys me, sometimes when I am real busy, I can hear it and put it away just as fast and not pay attention to it for a while.

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Would that be at precisely 5pm on Sat and Sun Karl? :) You always make me laugh whether you intend to or not :)

Thanks for letting me know how it was/is for you. I understand completely how the 'things you used to do' get spoiled.
      When I posted this I felt like I might be the only one,more or less, with this issue. I actually didnt have this issue when it first started and was quieter. I find now though Im expecting it and can no longer look forward to my evening viewing (I loved my TV watching).

I hope to get used to it too, at least I now know that is what we all have to do.

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Thanks Erik. Its good for me to know that this is what we have to do to watch TV, the ignoring it. It would be great to get to the point where you're so used to it you dont even hear it - habituation. Sounds like you're definitely going in that direction. Good for you.

9. Karl

Karl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2011
      As Mr. Spock would say, "Yes. Precisely at 5:00".

For the past 25 years of marriage, at precisely 5:00 pm on Saturday and Sunday, I get the beers. Our dog even knows it's her treat time.

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Ha, I love it. Great that you're still doing this after 25 years. I'll be thinking about this now at 11pm UK time, Mr & Mrs Karl cracking open a cold one :)

11. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      Yep. Oftentimes (well one would expect that after almost 3 years) I don't fret about it even though I hear it over TV/music, it's just that I don't actively think about it, I "let it" ring in the background and that's it.

Then there are days when it seems to be the most annoying thing in the world and I'd give anything to get rid of it.

It is weird though, it's like the brain wants to amplify the tinnitus while listening to other external sounds. DEAR BRAIN, WHY ARE YOU ACTING SO STUPID.

Always there, but the impact it has on me depends a lot on the current mood etc. I've figured.

As time goes by, I'm sure you'll start to have these periods when you might still hear it, but can lead a pretty normal and satisfying life nonetheless. The brain is stupid and wonderfully plastic at the same time.... :banghead::p

12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      And can you still enjoy the TV watching while you're not actively thinking about T?

I too have felt that the T is amplifed when there's other noise. I find it hard to listen to things 'through' it.
      The auditory system does have a mechanism for amplifying T if you see it as a threat so that the brain can monitor it. Maybe this is what's happening?

I hope I will get these periods you speak of, starting with being able to comfortably watch TV, I really miss that.

13. Marty

Marty Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2012
      Usually when I am listening to stuff I think less about the tinnitus. So a movie is usually a good thing to get my mind of the sound in my head. But I remember an old TV I had, one of those fat ones, which made this high pitched noise, so whenever I was watching this one my tinnitus went bananas and I really couldn't listen "through" it.

14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      My TV is reasonably new (LCD) so its not the TV itself its the being able to hear the T over it/in the quiet gaps. Hope I get used to it like the others.

15. Marty

Marty Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2012
      I think the sound it made was very similar to my tinnitus, so I kind of always heard that sound over the sound from the actual show, or program. Then when I went away from the screen I was used to hear it over normal sounds and that's what I think made it annoying for me to watch.

I do have that moment of what your describing, at the cinema. There I tend to wear ear plugs, just in case, and in the quiet bits I can hear it extremely much more, but otherwise I tend to get caught up in what I'm watching.

Don't worry, I believe it'll come in time this, as with most stuff. Wishing you all the best and good luck. By the way, have you tried have some background noise while watching TV? Maybe it could help. Like an aquarium.

16. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Thanks Marty, I'm going to try some white noise along with the TV see if that helps.

17. jazz
      No Mood

jazz Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      eardrum rupture from virus; barotrauma from ETD
      Hi all,

My T has always been reactive, i.e., it gets louder with certain noises. That's why--although I believe in TRT--I have not been able to do it. (Hence, this is my quest for an alternative like a hearing aid.) White noise, for me, is the worst. But it also hates most music--and I love music! Not being able to listen to music for nearly four months has been a bummer!

Ocean sounds and rain sounds do not irritate my tinnitus.

I agree with Marty that whatever sounds similar to your tinnitus irritates it. I've also been wearing an ear plug (my T is unilateral) when watching TV or when I go out (in case something loud comes up). Because I don't have hyperacusis, I'm not worried about the ear plug worsening my condition from a reduced auditory input. In addition, I wear the etymotic ear plugs designed for concerts. They only lessen the sound, not muffle it.

18. Marty

Marty Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2012
      Not being able to listen to music, that must be hard:( I hope it gets better - if you start maybe you can do it a little more and more until it gets better! Yes that's what I've felt as well - smoother sounds like ocean, rain, bubbles etc. seem to only be good for my tinnitus, while white noise or certain buzzing sounds, sometimes makes it worse. Probably because it sounds alike(I also, part from the high pitched noise, have a tone, but this one I only hear in very silent moments, or when I'm wearing ear plugs).

19. mick

mick Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2012
      I can still watch TV without discomfort most of the time, but sometimes not. I still hear the T, but it doesn't interfere with watching TV unless its a really bad day. What I miss is the ability to listen to the kind of music I like (classic rock). High treble sounds like banging symbols drive me crazy. It just plain makes my ears hurt. I can handle some soft rock and soft classical (symphony) music, but when there is banging high pitched sounds, I have to stick my fingers in my ears.

20. click
      Blah

click Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/04/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      I am so sick of the sound of rain...

21. click
      Blah

click Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/04/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure

I put the cd player, playing the rain, right next to the TV Louise. Somehow it works - for me anyway.

22. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      So you can still hear the T in with the TV noise but it doesnt bother you most of the time? Mine noise is moving and changing all the time so it grabs my attention, maybe that's why I find it hard when watching TV.

Sorry about the music :(

23. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      As I am of babbling brooks.....

24. click
      Blah

click Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/04/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      I remember them.. one of the ones I tried in the early days.
      Didn't do it for my T but very pleasant - for five minutes :)

25. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      I've had my laptop behind me playing rain (just sounds like white noise) with the TV on and once it worked but thats when the T was low that time. Now its not working. I also set the Soundcure device I still have to white noise and put the buds near my ears, that worked a bit better but not fully.

I'll try the laptop near the TV with the rain like you do, see if that makes a difference.

26. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Not doing it for mine now either now its got louder :(

I have rain which is just like white noise that seems to cover it but I dont think the T likes it.

27. click
      Blah

click Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/04/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      I put the player right next to it... if it's even a little further away it doesn't work. I've bought a whole load of cd players since getting this silly T... and placed them everywhere!

28. click
      Blah

click Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/04/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure

It's funny isn't it - I'm almost certain that some sounds help my T at first and then.. after a while.. they have the opposite effect. It's like it's a sentient being with thoughts and desires. Oh dear.. that thought is making me feel unusual.

29. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      I know what you mean. 'It' used to like the sound of my laptop fan, but now not at all, it irritates it.

30. Paul D
      Balanced

Paul D Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/01/2010
      1st Click..."I am so sick of the sound of rain..."
      then
      I just recommended rain and babbling brooks to Goofy about five minutes ago! :-0
      sorry folks...