Tinnitus Loudness When Listening To Other Things

Discussion in 'Support' started by Louise, Feb 4, 2013.

1. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      29/06/2012 worsened Jan 2017 & Dec 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      :) It took me a long time to get sick of the brook though :)

2. amandine

amandine Member

Tinnitus Since:
      july 2014
      So would the sound recommended to listen to - the sound of crickets (found on you tube) make the T worse then if that is close to the sound in ones head?? I tried this last night when wanting to sleep - i find all noise at night irritating as what i really want is silence and dark and sleep....suffice to say that i got about just less than 5hours last night which was better than the night before of 2 hours

3. Lisa Robinson
      Depressed

Lisa Robinson Member

Tinnitus Since:
      19/09/2013
      Audiologist I saw said other sounds need to be quieter than the tinnitus So then the tinnitus doesn't try to get louder than the other sounds. Very hard when day time is louder covering the tinnitus so therefore it gets louder :(

4. NGC891
      Wishful

NGC891 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1998 > 2008 > 2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma, weigh 69kg / size 1.8m
      This is the first time I hear a audiologist mention that. Yet it is so true in my case! I was told just the opposite there 18 years ... From experience, the noise immediately strengthens the intensity of my T (definition of hyperacusis?)
      The use of earplugs in low noise environments allows me to master the intensity of my T to keep it bearable.
      When the noise level is very variable (high dynamic), earplugs are unpleasant because lorque ambient noise is low, it means more than his tinnitus.

5. william adams
      Wishful

william adams Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      one week after leg surgery plus hearing loss in higher freq.
      I can get involved in an interesting project and not hear my T for hours but with TV I hear it over top of it every time. Perhaps if there were more interesting programs to watch my brain would silence it. One hour befor bed we play nature sounds on Pandora which I find soothing and gets you in the relaxed state for sleep..