Tinnitus Management Strategies

Discussion in 'Dr. Stephen Nagler (MD)' started by Neenie, Mar 11, 2015.

1. Dr. Nagler is not answering questions.
    Dismiss Notice
    1. Neenie
      Depressed

Neenie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2013
      Dear Dr. Nagler,

My name is Nina and I am studying Clinical Audiology at the moment. We have finally begun to cover my dream topic of tinnitus. We need to write an essay on tinnitus management options that Audiologists offer and also the management strategies of non-audiologists (such as surgeons and psychologists). We should critically analyse and review the treatments on offer and their outcomes.
      1. Are there any good books you can recommend on this topic?
      2. Are there any key researchers out there that I can search for when I look for journal articles?
      3. I was thinking of covering the medical model and the psychological model of tinnitus, is there anything else I should cover?
      Thank you in advance!
      Kind Regards,
      Nina

2. Dr. Nagler

Dr. Nagler Member Clinician Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      Although it is woefully out-of-date (and although I have some significant differences of opinion with the author), if I had to recommend one book, it would be Tinnitus Handbook by Richard S. Tyler. The book is fairly expensive, but hopefully you can find a copy in your university library.

Pawel Jastreboff, Laurence McKenna, David Baguley, and Jack Vernon would be a good place to start. Each has a different approach.

Yes. I would absolutely cover the neurophysiological model in addition to the two you mentioned.

You are most welcome, Nina. I apologize for taking this long to respond to your very good question.

stephen nagler