Tinnitus May Diminish/Disappear with Progressing Hearing Loss

Discussion in 'Support' started by Meestijn, Nov 29, 2013.

1. Meestijn
      Balanced

Meestijn Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2013
      I read somewhere (however can not find that paper(s) again :() that there are cases of noise induced Tinnitus when the hearing loss progresses the T diminished or disappeared (especially in cases of high freq. T).

Is this really possible?

It sounds like a contradiction!

2. Eric N

Eric N Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2012, 03/2016, 05/2017, 05/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise + 3 major increases via (shouting / MRI/ flu+Tylenol)
      That would suggest that at least some types of tinnitus are being generated in the ear and when it gets too damaged the ear stops sending the T signal.
      I also read that some people after being exposed to a very loud sound their tinnitus disappeared.

3. erik
      Cool

erik Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      It does sound like a contradiction but then again why are there people with severe hearing loss and no tinnitus whatsoever. If you find that paper, post it. I would like to read it. Thanks

4. James White
      Anime

James White Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Maybe loud music. Not sure.
      What is supposed is that the auditory system does not like gaps in all the frequencies it can process.

A perfect theoretical hearing loss would be that you loose frequencies from high to low. Then, if you damage your hearing, a gap is created in between, leading to tinnitus. If you then naturally loose your hearing with age the gap would dissapear at one point.

5. seal

seal Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2007
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      I don't think when you loose high frequencies in your hearing that that would mean that the T in this frequencies would diminish, because in my opinion our brains generate the sound. I would rather say that the T gets louder with progressing hearing loss because the brain wants to compensate.

• Agree Agree x 2
    6. Scubadude
      Badass

Scubadude Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan 2013
      On a positive note would you like to be in your late 60's-70's and listen to the latest kids awful music?
      I would welcome the peace.. Think of the battery savings in your remote control! All these so called Celebs spouting off would keep me from using the "mute control".

We don't know what the future will bring in regards to medical practice, understanding and treatment.

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Meestijn
      Balanced

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2013

Erik,

I found one of the article agains (see bold part). There is a second too. I keep on searching:)

PROGNOSIS

The impact of tinnitus on everyday life varies, often depending upon the severity of the tinnitus noise. About 25 percent of sufferers report an increase in tinnitus severity over time [7]. Long-term tinnitus is unlikely to go away completely. However, it often becomes less bothersome over time, especially when hearing loss is also present.

And here is the link to the full article
      Tinnitus (ringing in the ears)

Maybe I read above wrong since English is not my native language and did I mistaken what is written but I believe that Some with progressive hearing loss may be 'lucky'!

• Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Meestijn
      Balanced

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2013
      • Informative Informative x 1
    9. jazz
      No Mood

jazz Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      eardrum rupture from virus; barotrauma from ETD
      That sounds counter intuitive, for tinnitus is also correlated with hearing loss severity in some studies; and, as we know, one can have no measurable hearing loss--as evidenced in an audiogram--yet still have tinnitus. This is also known as hidden hearing loss and tinnitus.

Perhaps, we are looking at different types of tinnitus or else perhaps tinnitus may manifest itself differently in people based on yet unknown factors.

When I find the correlation between hearing loss and tinnitus, I will post! :)

That said, hearing loss severity is not correlated with tinnitus annoyance. This is something I've always found interesting.

10. Arthur Czerniak
      Wishful

Arthur Czerniak Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music and niave
      lol i am not willing to try that

11. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      With Menieres my hearing will get progressively worse and would love to think my Bilateral sever tinnitus that never stops might reduce if loose my hearing but I do understand deaf people can have tinnitus....lots of love glynis

• Hug Hug x 2