Tinnitus Mentioned on OZ Breakfast Show!

Discussion in 'Support' started by valeri, Feb 9, 2016.

1. valeri

valeri Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
      • Like Like x 1
    2. Tamika
      No Mood

Tamika Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      One loud indoor concert
      @valeri @Dave AUS

Thanks Valeri

Good to hear someone in Australia finally saying what should be said. How come the public can be exposed to dangerous sound levels at music concerts when such levels of noise exposure is not permitted in the workplace? Why isn't anything done to regulate this? Also good that he mentioned tinnitus and its impact on mental health and connection to suicide. I hope he can get the government to pay attention!

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    3. Dave AUS
      Depressed

Dave AUS Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Too Loud Indoor Rock Concert
      Thanks @Tamika for your comments and @valeri for posting.

I know it is only a small step but that conversation that took place on Australian radio with the Professor of Hearing, Language and the Brain, and Director of Hearing Research at Macquarie University, NSW, Australia shows us that someone in my country acknowledges and most importantly understands our hearing damage.
      This does happen to innocent people and it is awful. I will applaud any research and study here in Australia.

If anyone is in Sydney area and can participate in the study ‘hidden hearing loss’ please contact National Acoustics Laboratory. They are especially want people with some hearing damage from loud noises. Email prevention@nal.gov.au

The test involves a series of auditory tests in the laboratory. The testing is conducted at supra-threshold levels and the appointment goes for 3+ hours.

For myself they believe that if I were to participate there would be a risk of exacerbating my symptoms, which would outweigh any potential benefit of participating in their study, hence I am not included.

You know @Tamika that I could not agree more with what you wrote.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      valeri

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
      I was truly shocked that professor spoke so openly about it, let alone that any media showed interest to even initiate that interview.

Thank god he wasn't selling hearing aids or promoting habituation!

I feel sorry for all of you who got t due to noise exposure:(, something that will probably take epidemic proportions unless something is done ASAP!

5. Atlantis

Atlantis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2014
      Is this breakfast show popular in OZ?

• Creative Creative x 1
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      valeri

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011