Tinnitus Mimics External Sounds! Spike from Cold? Overly Obsessive?? Help!

Discussion in 'Support' started by mish.xo, Feb 5, 2020.

1. mish.xo

mish.xo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      This is a bit lengthy so I apologize to and thank anyone who reads it!!

Hey everyone, I’m new here but have been lurking since January 2019 when I first got tinnitus. To my knowledge it is not noise induced (waiting on audiogram still), my suspicion is that it is related to a wisdom tooth extraction (or ototoxic meds from the extraction) and/or TMJ. Since January there have been peaks and valleys but overall I feel that the volume and tone has improved, I also feel that I am getting close to habituation.

However, recently after dealing with a short cold about two weeks ago (I no longer “feel” sick by the way, no nasal congestion, etc) I’m occasionally experiencing ear fullness, as well as my tone has been changing almost constantly. My baseline hiss is still there, but on top is a variety of tones, occasional Morse code, whirring, etc. I also believe I’m experiencing some Hyperacusis or Dysacusis(?) as certain noises such as wind or water noises trigger a type of Morse code sound on top of them. The strangest part is that the T seems to mimic my environmental sounds sometimes (I.e my fridge running, the water in my fish tanks, the Xbox fan’s whirring and beeping). I notice the mimicking in quiet rooms or when I (obsessively unfortunately) plug my ears and check.

So I suppose I have a few questions;

1.) Is it possible that this is a spike of sorts due to remaining congestion in my sinuses or something? Even if I don’t have a stuffy nose anymore?

2.) Is it possible that I have unhabituated and become obsessive and hyper aware of every noise? Inducing some kind of hyperacusis?

3.) Should I be avoiding these noises that my tinnitus mimics? Am I doing permanent damage? The noises it mimics are very soft and honestly help mask my existing tinnitus.

I’m very careful with my ears these days, so this is all very confusing and upsetting to me. It’s interfering with my ability to go to class and focus on Uni. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated (and has been appreciated for the full year I’ve been lurking reading others posts). Thank you so much in advance!

2. uae96
      Thinking

uae96 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/14/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Sometimes a flu or a cold can cause or worsen tinnitus, yes, but it’s likely it will settle down. Might take a few weeks after your cold clears.

Just have a 1 week break and don’t over protect your ears.

All the best.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      mish.xo

mish.xo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I have had a few colds since getting tinnitus and don’t recall all the new noises and such that I have now. I suppose I may be just hyper analyzing everything. I really hope it will settle back down to my baseline. This is reassuring, thank you so much for your reply :)

• Hug Hug x 1
    4. Earing
      No Mood

Earing Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise
      Are your eustachian tubes clear? Can you equalize pressure?

Have you been checked for earwax?

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      mish.xo

mish.xo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I’m not sure what you mean by equalize pressure? No idea if my Eustachian tubes are clear. Going to get checked for wax tomorrow or next day hopefully!

6. Earing
      No Mood

Earing Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise
      If you plug your nose and put air pressure, do your ears get pressurized? Be very careful not to blow too hard to damage your ears. Then swallowing or yawning should equalize them.

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      mish.xo

mish.xo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Blowing doesn’t cause much pressure at all. But my ears have been “clicking” or perhaps equalizing pressure when I swallow or yawn since I noticed the tinnitus a year ago. I’ve suspected ETD before but was never sure/scared of the tests which determine it.

8. Earing
      No Mood

Earing Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise
      When I got my tinnitus my tubes were completely plugged. I carefully kept working them and after 3 days they started opening up. I also put some Vics Vaporub in a small pill bottle and sniffed it to clear the tubes.

• Like Like x 1
    9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      mish.xo

mish.xo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I will certainly try your suggestions, however I’m not sure if this could be the cause of my new noises. As I’ve heard the clicking/squelching noise every time I swallow since tinnitus started a year ago. And these new noises have become present in the last week or so. I will definitely try what you said though, thank you so much!

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    10. Earing
      No Mood

Earing Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise
      Read about that nose plugging maneuver. Be careful not to blow too hard. Especially if one ear is open. There are YouTube videos with other techniques to unclog the eustachian tubes. Good luck.

Do you use a CPAP machine for sleeping? They are known to cause pressure in the ears and clog the eustachian tubes.

• Like Like x 1
    11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      mish.xo

mish.xo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      No, thankfully not. I’m only 20 so hopefully I won’t need to worry about that for a long time. But that’s what I said about hearing problems as well haha. I saw a doctor today, he thinks it’s effusion in the ear. No infection or wax buildup. Ear canal looked irritated though. Prescribed me a nasal spray. Hoping it clears this up. Thank you for your help!

• Agree Agree x 1
    12. Earing
      No Mood

Earing Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise
      Middle ear effusion is a build-up of fluid in the space behind your child's eardrum. Middle ear effusion is usually caused by a blockage in the tube that drains fluid out of the ear. It often happens after an ear infection.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1