Tinnitus Now in Both Ears After Sudden Sensorineural Hearing Loss

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by BLV, Mar 27, 2021.

1. BLV

BLV Member

Tinnitus Since:
      7/1965 (left ear); 10/19 (right ear)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Left ear: Injury. Right ear: Sudden hearing loss
      Hi,

I have had tinnitus (and no hearing) in my left ear since I was struck with a cupped hand as a teenager. Having gotten used to that (I'm now 74), in October 2019 I experienced sudden hearing loss and tinnitus in my right ear after bending down.

As a part-time musician, for years I had drums, speakers, etc. set up on my right so I could hear them better, and this helped create a partial hearing loss on that side. Now I use an earplug.

My right ear tinnitus stops spontaneously for seconds at a time, and also goes away for a few seconds when I raise my head.

An MRI showed nothing; I may have a CT scan soon as I have changed ENTs. I also have some dizziness. I am using a Phonak CROS system with a mic on left hearing aid and speaker on right hearing aid; many high frequencies (and a volume increase of maybe 40%) return when I use them. I don't like masking noises as they only seem to bring on tinnitus and are irritating. It is worse when bending down. My right ear tinnitus sounds like a crinkling field of chirping crickets.

Good to be on a site to see others' experiences. Thanks for reading.

• Hug Hug x 3
    2. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Welcome to the forum. It is difficult challenge to have sudden sensorineural hearing loss as I have it too since December 2020. It is not just hearing loss. It comes with many other nasty symptoms, such as loud tinnitus, aural fullness, pressured and plugged ears, hyperacusis or sound sensitivity, vertigo and dizziness, blocked or fogged up sensation of the brain, etc. Some with SSHL can get back their hearing after prompt treatments, such as with oral prednisone, injection, hyperbaric oxygen chamber, etc. Others may get back partially, or unfortunately for some they don't have the luck to have the hearing restored even after treatment. Hope things will improve with you. I will be trying some of those hearing aids soon. Take care. God bless.