Tinnitus Persisting Since My April 2020 COVID-19 Infection

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by TinnyEars, Dec 27, 2021.

1. TinnyEars

TinnyEars Member

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Likely my diagnosed Covid infection in April 2020
      Hello Everyone,

Just wanted to add my tinnitus story that my tinnitus came after my COVID-19 infection.

In April 2020 I had a diagnosed COVID-19 infection. In June of 2020 I experienced new and pronounced tinnitus in both ears. (Different sounds in each ear. Right ear continuous high pitch ringing/buzz. Left ear had a muffled garbled type of sound.)

Eventually, my right ear tinnitus went away to be replaced with an occasional severely sharp high-pitched noise which dissipates after a minute or so. I still have the consistent ringing in my left ear to this today.

After vaccination in the summer, nothing changed. So my experience is that the infection caused my tinnitus, not the vaccine.

I find that having a fan run or any music or TV keeps the tinnitus on a level where I pay less attention and I am distracted away from it. At night or in silence it is quite disturbing however.

I hope there is a treatment being considered or developed. Seems tinnitus before COVID-19 has never been an issue that has been medicated or solved. And people who had it just had to live with it. Hopefully, this changes now that so many people are symptomatic with it.

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Welcome to the forum. Tinnitus can be caused by loads of things. COVID-19 may be a new thing but it may be hard to prove if the virus causes tinnitus or that the anxiety and stress of dealing with the infection have triggered tinnitus. Medications taken during treatments of it can also cause tinnitus. But it is a good sign that your tinnitus can be masked by fan or music. You can also try masking sounds of nature which are quite soothing to the tensed nerves. Try doing things that interest you such as something or a hobby you wanted to pursue. The distraction from such activities can help you ignore and habituate to tinnitus. Best wishes for speedy recovery. God bless.

3. CC_16

CC_16 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Upper respiratory infection
      How are you doing?