Tinnitus Prefers Quiet... Question on Seeking Audiologist/Treatment Help Early

Discussion in 'Support' started by Natalie Roberts, Nov 28, 2015.

1. LovesToTeach
      Chatty

LovesToTeach Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cold/pregnancy/stress
      I am so sorry about the anxiety and other health issues. I actually had severe anxiety during pregnancy prior to the T starting (also a possible cause) and tried taking my usual AD (Lexapro), but it made things worse - thanks, hormones! When the T started I had begun to feel better, but oddly since it has started I don't feel anxious about the stuff I did before - only about the T. So, it's almost been beneficial in that regard! I also read many posts about people who got T during pregnancy, but they never returned to their forum to say what ended up happening. @Lilyboo is in our boat too - she may want to chime in here?

No other children for me. But I teach, so I am surrounded by them all day long!

My T is all kinds of noises, many high pitched, some mid, all kinds of weird stuff. I am insanely jealous of women who are able to get through pregnancy/infancy with their children without this extra challenge. But, having this AND working AND not sleeping must make me some kind of super-mom, right?????

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    2. LovesToTeach
      Chatty

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cold/pregnancy/stress
      Also, stay optimistic! I keep hearing that this goes for most people - and with other health issues, once they resolve, I bet you'll be fine. :)

• Hug Hug x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Natalie Roberts
      Haunting

Natalie Roberts Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Pregnancy or mild hearing loss.. Who knows.
      Heck yes you are!!!!!! Thats how I feel. Kids are super loud and that sets off my T sometimes. I've even resorted to using ear plugs when I know my littlest will scream/yell (bathtime, hair brushing etc) because its just SO darn loud. I haven't read any other posts from anyone but heard from others who have and that has given me hope! My anxiety issues are also similar to yours in that I was having anxiety about all kinds of things prior to the T. Since the T started, all of those other things have gone away. I don't have any issues with those worries anymore which plagued me for a long time. Now, all I think about is the T. I try SO hard to not think about it but it can be difficult.. Makes interacting with your children difficult if its a particularly intrusive day. I have found so much support in this group though.

And thank you for your words of encouragement. I have 8 weeks left and am hoping it will go after pregnancy or at least reduce much more. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. LovesToTeach
      Chatty

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cold/pregnancy/stress
      I could have written that myself!

When mine started, my OB told me that it usually resolves after birth, but can take 6 months. That time came and went for me - but might be the case for you! Hang in there, Natalie!

• Hug Hug x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Natalie Roberts
      Haunting

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I'm so glad your OB said that. My OB has said literally nothing on the matter and said she hasn't had many patients with it but my ENT did know about pregnancy being a known cause. Are you still breastfeeding? The ENT I spoke with told me if its pregnancy related it could resolve shortly after birth or it could be AFTER you finish breastfeeding and your hormone levels resolve to normal. I also know once stopping breastfeeding, it can take up to 6 months for the hormones to completely go back to normal. I breastfed my 2nd until she was 2 so I'm hoping thats not the case. LOL. :) So great to find someone who went through what I am going through. :) Makes me feel so much less alone.

• Hug Hug x 1
    6. LovesToTeach
      Chatty

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cold/pregnancy/stress
      I am still breastfeeding. Interesting, I had not heard that about hormones! Wouldn't that be the best ever, if it calmed or even went after I'm done... A girl can dream!

I saw 2 ENTs after mine started in January. Neither of them had any clue about pregnancy/tinnitus being connected, but they were also both pretty bored/impatient with me when I told them my issue. My acupuncturist helped me get through those last horrifying weeks. I haven't gone back too often since baby arrived, but I should. I actually would have silence during sessions. Anyway, it's interesting that you say your ENT knew about it!

T is a lonely affliction, I'm finding. This board saved my life. I am trying to spend more time away and focus on living, but when it gets bad, this is my safe place. I have so much sympathy and empathy for what you are going through right now. I wish I could give you an actual hug!!!

• Hug Hug x 1
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Natalie Roberts
      Haunting

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      You too! I just started seeing an acupuncture dr for stress/anxiety and my T (referred by my OB). I did notice a slight flair in my T after the session but the next day had complete silence . I think I will continue trying it. I also have had good luck with relaxing massages and notice zero T during and shortly following the massage. For me, when I control my anxiety/stress I feel better and that affects the volume of my T. I actually saw 2 ents, while they brushed off my T they did say pregnancy can do crazy things to the body and pregnancy can absolutely contribute or cause T especially if your sinuses are clogged like mine are. And yes I was told by several dr's when I was nursing my 2nd that my vision problems could be related to breastfeeding and that symptoms related to hormones can take a full 6months to improve AFTER you cease. My vision issues did go away after I stopped nursing also (not related to T, but they were right.) So, it would seem this could stick around for quite some time BUT theres still a good chance of it resolving after you stop nursing. Thats great news! :) Lately all I'm looking for is the positive because I can't handle thinking about the negative.

I only saw one audiologist for my hearing test and have been debating going back for treatment. I'm not sure if I should seek treatment right away or wait it out especially since I've had so many good days recently. I suppose a consultation couldn't hurt.

• Like Like x 1
    8. Zimichael

Zimichael Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      (1956) > 1980 > 2006 > 2012 > (2015)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ac. Trauma & Ac.Trauma + Meds.
      @Natalie Roberts ... Natalie, you may find some the stuff I wrote in the past in the Hyperacusis Section useful to review. A search under my username there should bring some stuff up pretty quick. You will see I have a slightly different viewpoint on a number of things related to T/H, sound exposure, etc....born out of hard and rather 'cruel' experience. Your life is ahead of you still...You do not want to go the road I have had to travel. Maybe my take on things can help.
      Best to you... Zimichael

• Like Like x 1
    9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Natalie Roberts
      Haunting

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I found a lot of your posts but I'm not sure which specifically you were referring to that I may find useful. Thanks for your reply :)

10. LovesToTeach
      Chatty

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cold/pregnancy/stress
      A massage just sounds nice anyway! Stress exacerbates my T totally. So it's been awful since school started back up!

What kinds of vision problems? I have been seeing some weird spots and things - no cause that optometrist or neuro-opthamologist could find, so it's been strange.

Thank you for all of the hope you have given me today. I love breastfeeding so I wouldn't stop yet, but it's so nice to know that there's still a chance this could get better.

Pregnancy is crazy! When are you due? And do you know what you are having?
      Take care!

• Hug Hug x 1
    11. Zimichael

Zimichael Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      (1956) > 1980 > 2006 > 2012 > (2015)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ac. Trauma & Ac.Trauma + Meds.
      • Like Like x 1
    12. Ecip

Ecip Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Still unknown... possibly noise exposure?
      Ya, I'm 32 and the thought of having this for life doesn't sit well with me. Trying my best to beat this thing..

• Hug Hug x 2
    13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Natalie Roberts
      Haunting

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      How long have you had it?

14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Natalie Roberts
      Haunting

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I felt like I couldn't focus, my eyes were fatigued. Large floaters all around my eyes. I saw SEVERAL dr's during the 2 years I was nursing thinking I must have some crazy eye disease it was so severe. The eye dr I saw said that hormones from breastfeeding and pregnancy actually change the shape of your eyes so vision changes are to be expected which is why you shouldn't get glasses during those times. Its so strange. I'm due January 24th and we don't know what we're having. Its a suprise. :) I have 2 girls already so hoping for a boy.

You have helped me not feel so alone too! I loved breastfeeding and continued for a long time ! It's so good for baby. Today my T was so low and it's gotten much louder as the day has gone on and its so irritating. :( UGH. I have to go home now, to my loud house and loud kids, and worse of all my bf will have the TV on.. I have anxiety just thinking about it. lol.. Meditiation has also helped me.. I'm seeing a psychotherapist who is helping me learn how to do that for anxiety/stress and depression. If you want the instructions I can message them to you!> :) It's made a HUGE difference in the last 3 weeks in controlling my panic.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Natalie Roberts
      Haunting

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
    16. LovesToTeach
      Chatty

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cold/pregnancy/stress
      I would love the instructions, thank you!

I've had a couple large floaters and even occasional double vision, though that stopped when I gave birth. Very encouraging to hear that your eyes went back to normal, though. Have they been ok during this pregnancy so far?

I know, it's so hard for our families to understand what this is like. My husband made whipped cream earlier - metal whisk in a metal bowl. I literally ran out of the kitchen!!!! :arghh: I hope things were at least somewhat calm for you when you went home!

• Hug Hug x 1
    17. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Natalie Roberts
      Haunting

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I've had a few of the same issues this pregnancy with my eyesight however they are minor in comparison. I'm hoping they don't flair up again after pregnancy because it was pretty rough for awhile. However, I would choose that over tinnitus anyday.

My bf tries to understand but is always watching the tv which causes my T to react. He tries to keep the volume fairly low for me but it doesn't always make it better. Last night, I held off relaxing until about 7 so I didn't have to listen to the TV but finally was so exhausted (hey, 8 months pregnant is rough) I sat down. My t reacted to the televison like normal and for the first 45 minutes or so it was pretty bad but I just tried to ignore it. After that it seemed to calm down and I was able to enjoy my favorite show (walking dead) without paying too much attention to my T. We went to bed shortly after so it wasn't super terrible.. I'm at work today and the cleaning lady often comes in and vacuums. That freaks me out so bad! I don't necessarily know that it will cause a reaction but I'm not testing it so I usually leave the room lol.. No one gets it.. :(

• Hug Hug x 1
    18. Ecip

Ecip Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Still unknown... possibly noise exposure?
      Ou walking dead, lol. Gonna watch that tonight with the fiancé

• Winner Winner x 1
    19. Kgro719

Kgro719 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      @LovesToTeach how is your T now? Are you still breastfeeding? I had the same thing happen to me..