Tinnitus Reacts to My Own Voice

Discussion in 'Dr. Stephen Nagler (MD)' started by Barrowww, Sep 22, 2014.

1. Dr. Nagler is not answering questions.
    Dismiss Notice
    1. Barrowww

Barrowww Member

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Dear dr. Nagler,

I would like to ask you about a „reactive“ tinnitus and it's handling in TRT.

My tinnitus reacts to sounds, including my own voice. It goes up in volume in the moment of the sound and then goes down immediately. It's like it's „underlining“ the sounds. It destroys my ability to communicate: Whenever I speak louder, the tinnitus is „spiking“ under the more resonant syllables and letters of my speech. When I drive a car, it's constantly up until I stop the engine. Then it lowers again.

(This was caused by acoustic shock 2 months ago. I have no hearing loss. I have trouble handling louder noises now, but I guess it's mainly due to this tinnitus "spiking" under these noises. There is some tension in my ear and also some pain, but the sounds themselves don't hurt me - it's more like a constant discomfort.)

I would like to ask you:

1. In your opinion, is this a tinnitus related problem, or a hyperacusis related problem?

2. Can this be handled in TRT by exposing the ear to the constant white noise / pink noise through TCI, even when the tinnitus loudness varies like this?

Thank you very much, doctor.

Barrow

2. Dr. Nagler

Dr. Nagler Member Clinician Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      Hi @Barrowww -

Thyank you for your excellent questions:

1. In your opinion, is this a tinnitus related problem, or a hyperacusis related problem?

It is a tinnitus-related problem. As with a lot of people, your tinnitus fluctuates due to various factors. In your case it is sound. I see no evidence of hyperacusis in what you are telling me above, but of course a thorough work-up would involve LDL testing to be certain in that regard.

2. Can this be handled in TRT by exposing the ear to the constant white noise / pink noise through TCI, even when the tinnitus loudness varies like this?

I am not familiar with the term "TCI," but knowledgeable and experienced TRT clinicians successfully treat people suffering from tinnitus that fluctuates due to sound (or any number of other factors) all the time.

Hope this helps.

Dr. Stephen Nagler

• Like Like x 1