Tinnitus Reducers and Triggers Can Be Weird! Hedge Trimmer Reduced It, Hair Trimmer Made It Worse

Discussion in 'Support' started by Paul Burdett, Nov 4, 2019.

1. Paul Burdett

Paul Burdett Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      Hi all,

51/2 years in and still living with this demon! The last 3 weeks have been worse than normal, in respect to the number of "bad" days vs "good" days (bad= loud, good= little to no sound).

Anyhow... this morning I woke up to the usual hiss, got dressed and decide to trim the backyard hedge with my hedge trimmer. After doing this my tinnitus was reduced to almost nothing, and stayed that way. When this happens I generally know I'm good for the rest of the day.

I then decided later on to go and get a haircut. Everything was fine, but as she trimmed the left side of my head with the trimmer I started to hear my tinnitus again (this has happened before).

So... now as I'm typing this it's back to its normal loud sound. So... I'm now off to trim the front hedge... lol. Tinnitus is surely a trickster! Some sounds reduce it, some trigger it.

• Informative Informative x 1
    2. Digital Doc

Digital Doc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      I figured out to wear either foam or silicone earplugs for haircuts. Certain trimmers just set things off for me.

I can use my hedge trimmer all day, as long as I double protect with foam earplugs, and my ear muffs.

3. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      It is possible that your tinnitus hasn't been improving because you keep exposing yourself to loud noises.

• Good Question Good Question x 1