Tinnitus Related to Allergies?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Claudia, Feb 4, 2015.

1. Claudia

Claudia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/13
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I don't know. I'm guessing medication ??
      I wonder if my allergies have any thing to do with my T! ENT found NO allergies! But I do have it I have nasal pressure! Runny nose dry eyes and pressure mucus throat bad dr! I take musinex to calm all the symptoms ,but wears off after 6 hours and I'm back to Pressure in my face

2. Jesse Pinkman
      Badass

Jesse Pinkman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2011
      Allergies can make your eustachian tube swell and get clogged wich creates pressure in your ears and ringing. Allergies and tinnitus is definatly connected.

• Like Like x 1
      • Useful Useful x 1
    3. Kopesy
      English

Kopesy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      19/09/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I'll never know
      I'm going to my docs about this tomorrow. I've never had tests regarding my eustachian tubes before. I'm constantly sneezing & the right side of my nose has been clogged for I don't know how long!
      I have pressure in my right ear every morning & have to constantly pop it myself to bring it back down to a normal pressure, could this be problems with the tube I wonder?

• Like Like x 1
    4. Kaelon
      Wishful

Kaelon Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Muscle Spasms
      Hi @Claudia -

Are you saying that popping your ears and/or taking mucinex calms all of your symptoms, including Tinnitus? If so, then, yes, I think that's pretty definitive proof in your case.

Tinnitus is difficult to pin-point, because it's a neurological manifestation of some sort of physiological or chemical disturbance elsewhere in the body. Only in cases of damage to the auditory nerve itself (which is rare, even noise-induced damage to the cochlea does not directly affect the auditory nerve, so you'd be looking at something like an acoustic neuroma) is Tinnitus generally self-contained and very easy to correct through surgery. There are ordinarily neurovascular, neuromuscular, inflammatory, infectious, and/or biochemical causes that are not widely understood to be contributing to Tinnitus. At the end of the day, part of the puzzle here is that, according to the ATA, each individual has a different threshold for what ultimately "triggers" their tinnitus. In your case, your threshold may be driven largely by congestion. In my case, it's caused by inflammation to the tissues surrounding my ears (thanks to inflamed jaw).

I also thought that allergies might be playing a role in my case, but the only way to really test this is to remove yourself from your environment for several days and see if you notice a substantial improvement. If this is the case, then you may want to start narrowing down causes. Right now, seasonally, in the Northeast, mold and dust are the biggest culprits, but they generally don't cause huge systemic reactions like the ones that might inflame your sinuses to cause Tinnitus.

I'll be keeping you in my thoughts!

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Claudia

Claudia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/13
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I don't know. I'm guessing medication ??
      @Kaelon, no. Not T! Just allergies symptoms. I wish it would stop the ringing!!! I just pray to the lord above to help me. I'm doing my best!
      5 days of anxiety sleepless nights emotionally torn. Prayer helps

Thanks everyone!!
      If I come across a miracle I'll share!
      Love, peace!