Tinnitus Research Initiative (TRI) 2016 Conference

Discussion in 'Research News' started by Steve, Mar 15, 2016.

1. Kyxwz
      No Mood

Kyxwz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      x
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      x
      Dear Steve,
      do you tell me if in this conference they speak about off label drugs or future treatments (retigabine & others)?

2. japongus

japongus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      So a poster session is like an expo of cars, or real estate, or a sunday market, only it offered information about each phd/regulat research project to whomever was interested? Or was it a lecture hall and they had a quick few minutes to show their poster? I'm not sure I understand how there could have been so many projects (over 100) in so little time.

Sure, but how does lighting up a part of a brain associated with pleasant/unpleasant sound prove that it's lack of inhibition and not just the brain reacting to a bodily unpleasant sound?

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. Jamclem
      Fine

Jamclem Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Flying then Sport (Probs)
      Wonderful to read about this. Something to be hopeful about :)

• Like Like x 2
    4. mintblue
      Supportive

mintblue Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2012
      This is super interesting, feeling renewed hope.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Steve
      Creative

Steve Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Flu, Noise-induced, Jaw trauma
      It's not an area of activity or inactivity, rather that the area in tinnitus patients versus a healthy control group was smaller in size. There appears to be a shrinkage there, in an area that is known to activate in the discerning of pleasant or unpleasant noise.

I did ask Josef if there was any comparison to patients with intermittent tinnitus (he has intermittent tinnitus himself) but there isn't any work unfortunately. Will be interesting to see it though, maybe the gating mechanism in intermittent tinnitus is different, maybe there is shrinkage but not so much. He mentioned - unrelated - research showing a different area of the brain enlarged in jugglers. This to me is really intriguing, can we firstly figure out how to increase grey matter in the observed area and then test if this affects the perception and ability to filter out tinnitus when we train to enlarge it?

Hi Kyxwz. No there wasn't any talk that featured off-label drugs that I saw. It is an interesting area, although there are developments from SciFluor and with RL-81 that seem to push beyond Retigabine.

The big problem with off-label drug testing, as with most medical trials, is the time and expense involved, as well as the ethical approval required. There are different ways of trialling but to conduct a RCT is the best measure and also the biggest challenge.

6. IreneO
      Procrastinating

IreneO Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2014 (mild), 03/15 (severe)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Head trauma, then acoustic trauma, then more acoustic trauma
      Hello, I'm a n00b and I'd like to thank Steve for reporting on this conference. It's very helpful to get an overview of these different research areas. (y)

• Like Like x 1
    7. japongus

japongus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      I was hoping he'd test his sensorineural tinnitus patients against patients with confirmed muscular tinnitus, which is also capable of being continuous in nature and could be extremely underdiagnosed.

8. japongus

japongus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      @Steve what was the price of registration? Do you know if this year's meeting, which seems to be getting hosted in Spain, is also open for attendance?

• Like Like x 1
    9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Steve
      Creative

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hi. There is a TINNET meeting in Spain (Madrid) at the end of March, which is also a mini tinnitus conference. I'm there and giving a talk: Crowdsensing, big data and patient participation. It's not a full conference you can register for. This year there is no big TRI conference because of the International Tinnitus Seminar in Warsaw 22-24 May.

TRI 18 is in Germany. We didn't pay anything to register for TRI 16 but we are a non-profit so that may have made a difference (I can't exactly remember now).

10. japongus

japongus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      These conferences are usually expensive af for some reason. The one in Madrid, being a public university, and it being a 'mini-conference'' on the second day, do you know if it might be open to all for free? It's a long shot but maybe.

• Agree Agree x 1
    11. RODRIGO

RODRIGO Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2013
      Thank you for the information.
      Madrid is so close!

• Like Like x 1
    12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Steve
      Creative

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Good question and I'm not sure. Markku has messaged to ask TRI, we'll let you know what they say.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    13. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      Hey,

You are welcome to attend the conference on the second day, free of charge. :)

• Like Like x 1
    14. Rasmus
      Cool

Rasmus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      around 02/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure maybe to much noise
      When does this start ?:) and can we watch it live :)?