Tinnitus Ruining My Career

Discussion in 'Support' started by Mikel, Jul 30, 2014.

1. Ray Seddon
      Amused

Ray Seddon Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unprotected hearing damage
      Believe me when I write that I've tried everything to rid myself of this ringing, from the simplest pill to the purchase of a $5200 Neuromonics unit. Placebos, really. What did start me on the right track, however, is having finally realized deep inside the truth. That this thing can't/won't kill me, and, after exploring tons of sounds to aid mitigation, I finally found one that closely resembles what I hear in my head. And so I carry that recording with me at all times and transmit it through an iCom from my MP3 player to my hearing aids almost daily.

Hi guys - (sorry David I don't know how to insert your quote above like others do) - I relate entirely to you and urge Mikel to try sounds (white noise, river, crickets) that will ease the T. When my T gains volume, usually late in the day when there is little distraction around, I have to plug into my earphones and mp3 player and I get instant relief - the sounds distract and ease T immensely. I also agree with you re Neuromonics David - I contributed $5G 15yrs ago and acieved nothing - my two $70 mp3 players are 100% more effective. Hang in there guys - I feel there will be a cure around the corner, there are some interesting posts here re research currently going on. Ray (y)

• Like Like x 1
    2. Della
      Creative

Della Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Wow, @UserID ... somebody else with fibromyalgia, peripheral neuropathy and tinnitus! And another bass player to boot! (I too have been taking xanax, and a few other things, for many years.) My bass playing is the thing that's taking the biggest hit these days. I figured out that it helps if I wear open-back headphones while I play with my jazz group -- that way I can hear my own tone close up, but I can still hear what everyone else is saying and playing -- but some nights everything still sounds all distorted, out of tune, etc. Like you, I just forge on and hope the next session will be better.

3. Della
      Creative

Della Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Thank you @Mikel for sharing your story ... I'm so very sorry for what you're going through, and completely understand your sense of desperation. But you've gotten some wonderful words of wisdom in these responses, words and links that have helped me too (I'm also still pretty new to this), and I know they've helped others on this forum as well. I'm very grateful for all of you!

4. SoulStation
      No Mood

SoulStation Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise / Possible Medication
      I love your attitude...I need to learn to do more with my time! From one bass player to another.

• Like Like x 1
    5. UserID
      Lucky

UserID Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/01/1972
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Artillery
      on the walls
      You might start by forming a schedule, either in your mind or on paper, SS. It will feel pretty mundane to be on your knees with your arm reaching to the back side of the toilet to clean there or to scrub out the trash cans, but once done, it makes you feel like a million bucks.

I love it when I stay on top of things and someone pops in without warning when my house looks so welcoming. The secret is to not own as much as most women I've known. (forgive me ladies) They buy one or two hutches just to fill them up with dishes they use maybe twice a year.

Just keep it simple, but clean. Wipe down the TV stand, sort through the mess on your computer desk or get under it and unscramble that wirey mess. It is good therapy to clean; it really is. Do you use a squeegy on the walls after you shower? You'll find it will save you loads of scrubbing work because the grout will forever remain clean.
      Now get to it! :)
      David

• Like Like x 2
    6. Ricky81
      Worried

Ricky81 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 14, 2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Assault/Contusion/Ear Infection
      I always have waterfall music at my work desk via smartphone app. I leave it on all day by my desk and no one cares. Waterfall sound is not too loud and only I can hear it or anyone near by desk.

7. Jeff Collins
      Depressed

Jeff Collins Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Since I was 7 or 8 years of age. Received it after being prescribed certain antibiotics,while in the hospital.
      I have also tried Neuromonics and did not receive any benefit from it. The audiologist even blame me for it not working by stating that I used it for more than 4 hrs a day!

8. Della
      Creative

Della Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      @Ray Seddon and others who have tried a lot of things ... have you tried any of the Siemens hearing aids designed for tinnitus? I'm curious about these ... they seem to be quite customizable, offering therapy sounds and hyperacusis relief in addition to the hearing aid. I'm sure they're pricey though, and I'd like to know if anyone has had a good experience with them.
      http://hearing.siemens.com/us/en/hearing-loss/tinnitus/solutions/solutions.html

9. NiNyu

NiNyu Member

Tinnitus Since:
      29/12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      barotrauma? stress?
      I get the ear pain as well. So it doesn't mean healing then. :(

Word!