Tinnitus Since 1983 After a Smack to the Head

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Pixie, Nov 25, 2020.

1. Pixie

Pixie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Smack around the head
      Hi all.

I am new to this forum. I have had tinnitus since 1983 when a smack to the head from the husband at the time started it all off. Long since divorced from him.

My tinnitus is really bad lately and I don't seem to be able to cope with it at all. I have had a word with my doctors who don't seem to come up with any answers. A while back I did have my hearing checked and they did advise a hearing aid but not sure if I am ready to wear one. I feel too young to have one at the age of 68 years old. They did say that it might alleviate the problem somewhat. Not sure.

I do get days when I feel really panicked especially lately when I have had a really bad sinus infection.

• Hug Hug x 3
    2. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      HI @Pixie

Welcome to the forum.

You are veteran to tinnitus so I'm not going to tell you how to suck eggs and will get straight into things. The increase in tinnitus could be due to some loss of hearing, as it's known in the medical field, hearing loss can cause tinnitus and also make it to increase so please consider this if your ENT doctor advise you to wear one or two. Exposure to loud noise and the use of headphones, earbuds and headset can increase tinnitus too. Do you regularly use headphones or earbuds to listen to music even at low volume?

If hearing loss, exposure to loud noise, headphone and earbud use are not the cause of the increase in the tinnitus. Then, stress, medication or TMJ or other underlying medical condition maybe responsible. Please ask your doctor to be referred to ENT for tests. I don't recommend you go to places such as specsavers or any high-street clinic for treatment. You will get the best treatment and long term aftercare for tinnitus in the UK under the NHS that no private practice can match.

Please click on the link below and read my article: Tinnitus, A Personal View. I am aware you're very experienced in tinnitus but might find something useful reading my article.

Take care and hope you start to feel better soon.

Michael

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/tinnitus-a-personal-view.18668/

PS Please consider using sound enrichment, more about this is explained in Tinnitus A Personal View.

3. gav01

gav01 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      68 isn't too young to have a hearing aid :LOL:
      You're lucky in that sense.