Tinnitus Since 1988

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Jenny, Feb 1, 2015.

1. Jenny
      Curious

Jenny Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/1988
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Virus
      I am writing regarding my husband who has had tinnitus since June, 1988. The Drs. think it was caused by a virus. He has been to many, many Drs. and has tried many different meds. Nothing has worked. Ten years ago he had an early retirement at work - not his choice, but many people were either retired or let go. We were lucky he could take the early retirement. My husband loved his job and this was devastating for him. He started to drink telling me it helped his T. I can see over the years that now the alcohol has taken over along with the tinnitus. He is in denial about the drinking and is angry about the tinnitus. Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    2. jonedwinmigel
      Not amused

jonedwinmigel Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      no clue.
      I can relate because I myself turned to drinking for all of a few days... it helped when I was drinking yes but the next day it was ten times worse. Unfortunately that could make it spin into a cycle of feeling like you have to drink to keep it away. you might want to read up on how alcohol can affect t and how it actually makes it worse. There are lots of articles on it. Maybe showing your husband these articles could help? Worth a shot. T is my curse but also it has changed my life in positive ways as well... I quit drinking, quit smoking, don't drink caffeine, eat healthier and I exercise more. These are all things that seem to have helped my t quiet itself.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jenny
      Curious

Jenny Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/1988
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Virus
      I go to Al-anon and have read so many articles on T and drinking. My husband smokes, drinks, and also uses caffeine. I have explained to him about all of the issues these items bring to the tinnitus but he is not listening. I appreciate your comment and taking the time to make it. Good luck with your tinnitus.

• Like Like x 1
    4. amandine

amandine Member

Tinnitus Since:
      july 2014
      Hi there, sorry to hear what you are going through having a partner who drinks too much. I am there now with mine. However re the caffeine, there is contradictory speculation on caffeine. Some say it is good and some say it is bad and some say it makes no difference whatsoever. Also there is a train of thought that says beer can protect against getting tinnitus so go figure........who knows?

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jenny
      Curious

Jenny Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/1988
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Virus
      Thank you!

6. devonlee
      Badass

devonlee Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing Loss of Unknown Origin
      Most of the things that I've read say that caffeine is only a factor if your tinnitus is related to your blood pressure. I think I'm going to have to start being more open to changing my habits though if I want to find relief.