Tinnitus Since December 2014

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by vjtl, Jan 19, 2015.

1. vjtl

vjtl Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/13/14
      Hi everyone,

First off, I would like to say I hope everyone can find away to escape from or cope with this awful condition known as tinnitus. I myself have had it for a bit over a month now.

I got my tinnitus by going to a loud party in which I could barely speak to the person next to me without screaming. I have always had sensitive hearing, so I knew as soon as I left the building when I heard the ringing in my ears. I thought very little of it the first day, but the next morning I got extremely panicky about it. I began my dreaded research where I found that I will likely have this for life.

All of a sudden, all of my focus went to tinnitus, not school or sports. The thought of tinnitus is still very scary to me.

For me, the tinnitus itself isn't bothersome (it is bearable, at least)- it is the thought of distress and sadness that comes across my mind when I think about it or hear the word that gets to me- I hate being at home now!

My questions to you all are:
      1.) what are my chances of my tinnitus getting better or resolving completely (I know it never is truly gone)?
      2.) how do I cope with the mental aspect of tinnitus?
      3.) does tinnitus every fluctuate (ear to ear, inside the head to sounds from the ear, hiss to ring, etc.?)
      4.) is tinnitus considered bad when you can only hear it before bed/when listening for it?

Thank you all.

2. Jesse Pinkman
      Badass

Jesse Pinkman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2011
      1) I dont know the exact probability, but its not very unlikely. If its not gone within a year, the chances are slim tho.
      2) Masking helps if possible. Try to continiue with the things you used to. Make your mind occupied. Stop listening for it. If you stop obsessing about it, your brain will start finding your tinnitus less and less important. The mental issues is for most only a problem in the beginning and will for 95% become a non issue within 18 months.
      3.) That is not too unusual.
      4. Sounds like mild tinnitus to me.

3. Ricky81
      Worried

Ricky81 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 14, 2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Assault/Contusion/Ear Infection
      You are eligible for AM-101 trial if your T is less than 3 months.

4. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Welcome to the forum. Your tinnitus sounds mild if you can only hear it at bed time and you have to listen for it. So mentally, you need to keep reassuring yourself that you have a mild tinnitus and it most likely will get better over time. This will happen faster if you stop worrying and monitoring your T. You should read up the success stories to see how others are doing to get better. Yes, you will get better. Being so new with T, you never know if your T will just fade or disappear. Try to be positive about your recovery so you won't get more distress about T than you need to. Many people with more severe T and/or with hyperacusis too have gotten better over time. So relax. The more relax and positive you are, the less stress and the faster the recovery. Take care.

• Like Like x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      vjtl

vjtl Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/13/14
      Thank you all for your responses. I agree that the chances of my tinnitus going away are still legitimate. The fact of the matter for me (in a good way) is the tinnitus never going away is not bothering me- it is the thought of the anxiety never going away, which I think is unlikely/impossible. I appreciate it and will keep you all posted.

• Like Like x 1
    6. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Your anxiety will go away in time especially you learn some techniques to cope with it. Try CBT , mindfulness meditation, abdominal breathing plus some relaxing activities (leisure walking, hiking, jogging, outdoors, yoga etc.). Your anxiety is strong now because your body is functioning on fight or flight mode. Given time and doing some of these relaxing thing, your normal parasympathetic nerve will return and you will be able to handle anxiety much better. If you really can't handle anxiety, you can talk to your doctor above getting some mild benzo or AD to help you cope. You can always phase them out later (like what I did). During my worst days, I couldn't cope and survive without some meds but I phased them out later without much problem. So relax.

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      vjtl

vjtl Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/13/14
      Alright guys thanks. How big of a factor is it in your lives now?

8. Joe Blow

Joe Blow Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/1993
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Rock Shows
      Really, you eventually just tune it out. I've had it for over 20 years, it just kind of becomes background noise for the most part.

• Agree Agree x 1
    9. jonedwinmigel
      Not amused

jonedwinmigel Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      no clue.
      I have had T for about a month now as well and like you I have many questions about it. I can hear it 24/7, some days its better and some days it is like there is a locust buzzing in my ear leaving me unable to focus on most things. I am hopeful that it goes away but at the same time I have already begun to accept the fact that it could very well stick around for good. Since it started I have been taking a log of things that seem to spike my T and things that help keep it to a minimum (or at least not spike it). Here are some things I have noticed... Nicotine, caffeine and alcohol are a big no no for me. After a night out I am almost sure to have a horrible spike the next day that last the entire day and sometimes even the next. Driving in the car with the heat turned up also spikes it for some reason so ive learned to freeze a little here in the Wisconsin winter. Those are the four main things that spike my T. Some things that have seemed to help (or mask)... Meditation before bed, white noise, taking a shower, keeping busy, exercise. SO all in all, T while yes a horrible curse has also changed my habits and caused me to be more active and healthy. Yes it sucks and I hate it with a passion but it will not consume my life if it does decide to stay. My first medical appointment is in a week and a half, im interested to see what is to be said or done...