Tinnitus Since Last Week. On Edge. Need Advice.

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by SGA, Mar 31, 2017.

1. SGA

SGA Member

Tinnitus Since:
      24/03/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hello all.

First off, I feel like I know this place so well despite not posting on here before as I've spent the last week relentlessly browsing threads here and other Tinnitus-related websites.

Basically, I was completely normal a week ago. I fell asleep around 5am, woke up at 9am with ringing in both ears. It's mostly on the left though. That was March 24th.

Here's the thing. I have experienced no noise exposure, no acoustic trauma, nothing. The only thing I can put my ear ringing down to is an SSRI drug I was put on for anxiety you're probably familiar with, Citalopram/Celexa. I was on it for 26 days, I stopped cold turkey on the 26th day because I was getting nosebleeds and got a brief ringing in my ears which frightened me. It then went away until March 24th and it has been here since, tormenting me. I can barely sleep, eat, I've had panic attacks and as of today diarrhoea. I went to the GP and got some olive oil for my ears but it hasn't helped at all. I don't think wax in the problem here, and I'm scared of getting my ears syringed incase it makes things worse.

I found not many, but some people who said they got T after taking this drug for a short period of time. One of them is xtreme88, who posted here back in 2010/2011. I am very curious to see his situation today but unfortunately can't find anything recent.

I know T from SSRI is supposedly rare but I can't see anything else that gave this ringing in my ears.

Is there a chance this could go away once it leaves my system or should it already have done this by now?

Thanks.

2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      SGA

SGA Member

Tinnitus Since:
      24/03/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Just realized that xtreme88 never posted on here. I got confused with another forum. Apologies.

Still, would really like some input from others here on my situation.

Surely there must be others here who have had this side effect with Citalopram/Celexa.

I am under so much psychological stress right now.

3. Amber
      Depressed

Amber Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/1999
      Xtreme88's tinnitus probably went away like most SSRI induced tinnitus go. It takes a couple of weeks sometimes a couple of months for the side effect (tinnitus) to go away. A week is nothing!

4. LukeYoung
      Frantic

LukeYoung Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      A loud Concert - Noise Exposure
      Maybe once the drug is fully out of your system it could go!

Stay away from loud sounds in the mean time.

5. Jordan987

Jordan987 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Zoloft
      I got mine from zoloft (which I took 5xs )after I was in the mental ward place because someone put something in my weed never had anxiety or depression until they have me it it's been almost a year it went away after they gave me lexapro for only 3days like 5months ago after they told me it had nothing to do with the meds I can tell they where lying they have no idea I've been to 9 doctors some day yes some say no.

6. MeBeSurfer

MeBeSurfer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSRI Medication, Movie Theaters, or Gaming Headphones
      I found xtreme88 and contacted him on FB. He is doing very well today! He says he has improved so much that T is absolutely nothing to him anymore. In his words, it's a complete "non-issue" today and if he could go back in time he would slap himself upside the head for all the anxiety he went through with his T onset. He enjoys life and only notices the T if he takes his hearing aids out and really focuses on it, otherwise he doesn't notice it at all. I would say he is a huge success story!