Tinnitus Since March... Getting Worse

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Iwan K, May 3, 2016.

1. Iwan K

Iwan K Member

Tinnitus Since:
      15 March
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      anxiety ?
      So, I have somehow developed tinnitus in early March. It started with occasional ringing , a few times per day on a random basis, sometiems it was gone for a few days, sometimes returned for the whole day, but basically I didnt pay much attention to it anyway. A few days ago, I had an all nighter to prepare for exam and after I went to bed the next day and woke up, tinnitus has been really bad, I can notice ringing almost all the time. The ringing is accompanied by a pain in the ears, sometimes really itchy and disturbing pain. I am in my mid 20s, I have never been exposed to noisy environments, havent been to a single concert in my life...I just dont know what happened. Is there a hope that it will ever go away ?

• Hug Hug x 2
    2. volsung37

volsung37 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      There are many cases where tinnitus has disappeared or lessened. Most people will eventually habituate. Sounds like stress may be a component in your case. Try not to take too much on.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Iwan K

Iwan K Member

Tinnitus Since:
      15 March
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      anxiety ?
      The problem in my case is that the noise is not constant I cannot really get used to it. It starts, it stops, it changes intensity. Is this typical tinnitus ? Or most people have it 24/7 more or less the same way

4. Cillian

Cillian Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sinus infection
      @Iwan K hi :) I developed tinnitus in early March too it sucks :(

5. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I don't think there is a typical tinnitus, but a constant 24/7 noise is not any easier, trust me. Being that it's not caused by noise exposure, there is a better chance that it goes away. I think you should go see an ENT in any case.

6. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      x2 here. If you have pain in the ears, you need to see an ENT to rule out any medical problem with your ears first. Also your all nighter may cause aggravate as sleep deprivation is a sure way to fire up T. Try your best to give it time and stay calm, as anxiety and stress are bad for T. New T is known to morph into different tones, different symptoms or jumping ears. It will take a few months to settle down. Have you tried masking your T yet? Masking will help you not so anxious about T ringing. So try to mask if your T is bothering you. Take good care & God bless.

• Agree Agree x 1
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Iwan K

Iwan K Member

Tinnitus Since:
      15 March
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      anxiety ?
      Thanks ! I really hope that the ENT will find some infection or anything and after some drops or meds I can recover... today I havent had any problems until bed time when I was tired ...

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Iwan K

Iwan K Member

Tinnitus Since:
      15 March
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      anxiety ?
      Something that I notice is that every time I swallow , my ears make the same sound when they make during take off with an airplane..have you experienced the same ?

9. billie48
      Sunshine

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      When we have bad sleep or short nap where the brain can't have deep REM sleep, and this can cause T to become worst. There is also the Awakening Response which has been explained by a doctor as to why short nap is bad for T:

“I have always felt it to be due to the role of the reticular formation in tinnitus perception. The reticular formation is a primitive structure in the brain stem. It's a "vital sign monitor." When you wake up, the RF checks to see whether or not you are alive! It looks for heartbeat, respirations, blood pressure, temperature - basic bodily signs. It does not care whether or not these signs are good or bad - just that they are present. And as far as the RF is concerned, tinnitus is part of "expected" body function in an individual suffering from severe intrusive tinnitus. So when you wake, your RF checks to see whether or not tinnitus is present. And if it doesn't immediately find the tinnitus, the RF seeks it with a vengeance - - especially in the post-nap state, when there has been inadequate REM sleep and when, therefore, the RF is on already "high alert" that something might not be quite right. Theoretically - very theoretically - this RF hyperactivity in seeking tinnitus, which in a person with severe intrusive tinnitus it equates with life, results in temporarily markedly augmented tinnitus perception.”

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Iwan K

Iwan K Member

Tinnitus Since:
      15 March
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      anxiety ?
      Yesterday it was good for me. I went out, drank a lot, basically half a bottle of vodka, combined with 3 red bulls (lots of caffeine) and I slept like a baby without masking or anything. Today I went to a doctor and she told me I had a fungal infection in the ears and she told me that could cause the ringing. So she gave me some meds and hopefully that will do it.

11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Iwan K

Iwan K Member

Tinnitus Since:
      15 March
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      anxiety ?
      I had some problems last night, basically during the day, I do not notice the noise and it doesnt distract me, but as soon as I go to bed, it gets worse, I start hearing it more pronounced , I get panic attacks and have huuge problems falling asleep. The ear pain does not help either

12. billie48
      Sunshine

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      A new T is known to be unpredictable. Don’t panic and don’t despair. Things can improve. Compared to day one, most of us will find our reaction to T have improved, if slowly. If things are improving, however little, then take that as a blessing and a positive development. But new T is known to be unpredictable and can morph into different symptoms, such as changing ear, changing tone, having more tones, having new pitch etc. It is best to take the recovery process or habituation as a total package, mixed in with inevitable setbacks and morphing symptoms. That way you won't be so freaked out by what T will do each day. It is best to keep a positive and calm frame of mind, knowing that if you cut off anxiety and stress, T will be robbed of its fuel to burn you with its suffering. Take that at little toddlers learning to walk. There will be the inevitable falls, but they will get less and the steps will be more steady as time goes on. As long as you are making progress, little at a time, then time is on your side. You will get better and see better days. Just believe it. Take good care & God bless your recovery.

• Informative Informative x 1
    13. billie48
      Sunshine

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Perhaps try mask your T at bed time so you can sleep better.

Try these if you haven't done masking yet:

1) Mask at bed time so you can sleep better. Find whatever sounds/music that are soothing to you. You can use a sound machine or sound pillow for this, or a computer with speakers.

2) If you need masking on the go, try load an ipod with nature sounds or music using itune. If you have a smart phone, you can download free APPs for soothing or T-masking sounds.

3) If you have computer and speakers, you can try these excellent masking sounds too:

TT's audio player: https://www.tinnitustalk.com/audioplayer/

or this online sound library, particularly the self-mix nature sounds: http://mynoise.net/

or download free sound generator ‘aire freshener’: http://www.peterhirschberg.com/mysoftware.html

or search youtube with words like 'tinnitus masking sounds', 'white noise', 'rain sound' etc.

14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Iwan K

Iwan K Member

Tinnitus Since:
      15 March
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      anxiety ?
      Hey guys, just wanted to update you that Tinnitus has disappeared almost completely. I hear it very weak first thing when I open my eyes and then as soon as I get out of bed have shower and basically daily activities start, I dont hear it/ think about it. I dont also hear it before falling asleep, though I keep thinking if it is there ..but hopefully time will heal this.

15. undecided
      Breezy

undecided Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown.
      Don't give tinnitus another thought.
      Get the hell off this forum, get tons of good sleep, avoid any stressing situation for some time and never look back.
      You are probably one of the lucky ones.

• Genius Genius x 1
    16. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Iwan K

Iwan K Member

Tinnitus Since:
      15 March
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      anxiety ?
      I just wanted to come back to say that I am better :) I noticed that many people who feel better just disappear..and future sufferers lose hope because they fail to see anything positive

• Helpful Helpful x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    17. Cityjohn
      Inspired

Cityjohn Member

Tinnitus Since:
      5:10 PM 03/02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Scombroid food poisoning.
      Very good indication that modulating tinnitus is caused by something stimulating the inner hair cells directly and can therefor be treated with antibiotics, garlic or alcohol. ;) Thanks.

• Funny Funny x 1
    18. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Iwan K

Iwan K Member

Tinnitus Since:
      15 March
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      anxiety ?
      btw I didnt take anything..doctor perscribed antibiotics but before I got them I noticed improvement...so I just waited for it to go completely. Drank lots of alcohol and energy drinks though.