Tinnitus So Loud After Naps — Why?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Barry33, Jan 3, 2018.

1. Star64
      Kick ass

Star64 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @Steve0 @Lane I remember reading something about this on the internet, someone had asked an otoneurologist about this... I recall the answer was something along the lines when taking short naps it does not put us into REM sleep, which impacts on tinnitus... plus apparently cortisol levels rise on awakening not just in the mornings... not sure if this is the reason...

However I try not to nap... it's hard sometimes especially if you haven't had a good night's sleep... plus listening to tinnitus all day is tiring...

But if I do nod off my tinnitus is way more deafening. Many tinnitus sufferers refer to toxic naps... They sure are...

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    2. Digital Doc

Digital Doc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      This increase in tinnitus during naps happens to me as well.

If I fall asleep in front of the TV, even at a low volume, it happens. It has also occurred without a TV on.

My theory is that during a deeper sleep, my ears at this point are very vulnerable to sound damage. If I fall asleep with earplugs, the tinnitus is better, and not worse. I think with these damaged ears from noise, any further noise injures things quite a bit more unfortunately.

3. JohnRyan

JohnRyan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12 years off and on
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure

4. JohnRyan

JohnRyan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12 years off and on
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure

5. JohnRyan

JohnRyan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12 years off and on
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      CBD oil is known to calm the central nervous system down and also reduce inflammation stress and anxiety and that can reduce tinnitus symptoms!

6. JohnRyan

JohnRyan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12 years off and on
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure

7. JohnRyan

JohnRyan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12 years off and on
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      That is why I am signed up for this forum now! My Tinnitus is always the loudest ams spikes big time after I take a nap or wake up from sleeping!I just took a 20 minute nap and woke up with a major spike! I have been searching for answers for years! I read that a lot of people with Tinnitus also have sleep disorders like Sleep Apnea or even more complex sleep problems like Central Apnea! I don’t snore but have mild sleep apnea after getting a sleep study done! It’s hard to sleep in those labs when they have you all wired up! I always ask my kids if they see anything going on when I take a nap and they tell me that I look peaceful but my tinnitus rages through the roof even after a 5 minute nap! Some how my tinnitus is linked to my sleep issues!

• Like Like x 2
    8. Flyingsheep
      Sheepish

Flyingsheep Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Yes a nap will turn my tinnitus into hell, even on a good day. Don't even take naps anymore or I'll hear 17khz screaming for the rest of the day.

• Agree Agree x 3
    9. JohnRyan

JohnRyan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12 years off and on
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure

10. JohnRyan

JohnRyan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12 years off and on
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      How is the quality of your sleep? Have you ever had a sleep study done before?I know tinnitus can come from many reasons but if a person has broken sleep through out the night from sleep apnea that would through their entire body out of sync! Untreated sleep apnea has a major impact onthe hormonal system! Raised cortisol could cause spikes! It seems like most doctors are clueless why some people get major spikes after a nap or after they sleep! It’s frustrating!

11. PeteJ
      Depressed

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      Could be anything. Who knows. Like some people here said, whatever goes on with the neurons.

A power nap can mean a way of re-energizing for the rest of the day. We 'fix ourselves' in our sleep. That's why a lack of sleep can leave us feeling fatigued or cloudy. If you had a dream during sleep, that might have done something too?

12. LukeYoung
      Mooooody

LukeYoung Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      A loud Concert - Noise Exposure
      I think something to do with REM CYCLE.
      If this is interrupted you your CNS will be on alert.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    13. Flyingsheep
      Sheepish

Flyingsheep Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I haven’t had my sleep studied before but have thought about doing it. I wake up a lot throughout the night and get spotty sleep sometimes. But it depends on where I am staying and what my routine is. There have been times (while having tinnitus) where I was getting great sleep for 3-4 months straight and it didn’t improve tinnitus.

• Hug Hug x 1
    14. Don Tinny

Don Tinny Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2017 (worsening)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert with ear plugs
      The same thing happens to me. I guess that my brain "resets" and find the hearing loss again.

15. 535bimmer
      Relaxed

535bimmer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      neck trauma

Hi billie48,

Is there any chance that you would still have the source page of the quote from the doctor above and be able to either post the link or the doctor's name? I would like to share this with my neurologist and point him to the source of the comment.

Thanks

16. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Yes he is Dr. Stephen Nagler. He is one of the doctors in the Doctors' Corner here on Tinnitus Talk.

To find the original post, you can do a search on reticular formation and you should see it. Good luck.

17. davidmp

davidmp Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing Loss / Possible Trauma in concert
      Same here. Any nap, from short to long, will take me to a horrible spike. It is incredible how tinnitus has changed my life, dramatically reducing my quality of life.

• Hug Hug x 2