Tinnitus Spike After Cold

Discussion in 'Support' started by Nikopol, Apr 22, 2018.

1. Nikopol

Nikopol Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown (sinuses, stress or cervical...doc opinions differ)
      Hi,

this probably happened to all of you, but I recently went through cold. The cold itself even blocked my ears somehow and although my tinnitus is normally in left ear, where I got used to it, this time I got pitch noise in right ear. The cold left couple days back, but full ears are still bit there although I can hear them "crunching" when chewing and such.

I'm pretty certain that blocked ear canals is what is causing the spike of tinnitus in right ear, but what would you recommend be the best thing to unblock them? Seems to me as if it gets unblocked during the day and gets blocked again when I sleep.

Thanks

2. Makrohn
      Supportive

Makrohn Member Benefactor Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing loss - Explosion - Stress
      Blocked ears due to cold could last for some time, 5-6 weeks is normal.
      You've probably have some fluid build-up in your middle ear that needs to dry up and this happens naturally over time. There are some things you could try, like different nasal spray or norephedrine pills, check with your ENT.

3. Arjay

Arjay Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Possibly ear cleaning but I'll never know for sure
      Nikopol, any follow up? Did your tinnitus return to its baseline level? If so How long did it take. I'm in the same boat. 10 days post cold and spike is still there, some days better than others but definite spike.

4. Arjay

Arjay Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Possibly ear cleaning but I'll never know for sure
      I had a cold about 15 days ago and had/still have the spike. I have a theory that when you lay down to sleep the fluid trapped in the middle ear might cause a spike, depending on what position your head is in when asleep. I know something happens during sleep. I either go to sleep with a spike and wake up with it lower or vice versa.

I have tinnitus in my right ear.

I've tried sleeping on my back or on my left side.

My back position seem to quiet it down a bit but doesn't bring it down to my baseline tinnitus level where I was at for 8 years until I got this cold...

• Agree Agree x 1