Tinnitus Spike After Hearing Test — Or Is It Just Anxiety?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Mila9828, Oct 17, 2019.

1. Mila9828

Mila9828 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accident/Screaming?
      Hi everyone,

I’ve been dealing with a handful of ear issues lately, if you’ve seen my previous posts you’d know. I’ve been using the Mimi app every few days to test my hearing and had previously had no problems with it.

Three days ago I was testing my hearing and was also extremely nervous and anxious while taking the exam (I was literally holding my breath unconsciously while taking the test) and about an hour after, I experienced a spike in my tinnitus in both ears.

I was already habituated to my tinnitus previously, while it is bothersome I don’t really hear it unless I focus on it. Now, it’s extremely loud and the pitch is the same as how I was when I had my initial onset of tinnitus. I can’t sleep, and I tried white noise and even that can’t mask it entirely. There are periods of times when I’m asleep, if I wake up I can’t hear the tinnitus for a brief moment (maybe a few seconds) and then BOOM comes right back. I’m starting to think this is a spike due to my anxiety while testing (anxiety can make the ears more sensitive therefor causing a spike) as I’ve done the test a number of times and have been okay. Also, a lot of Tinnitus Talk members use this app and are fine so I’m not sure how it could have affected me this time, but I don’t know.

I’m quite afraid as it’s been 3 days now. I don’t know how long spikes last as this seems to be my first (noticeable) one since my onset 3 months ago. I want to go on prednisone as this seems to be the thing most people do, however, I was already on it for three weeks not too long ago due to a severe interaction with poison ivy. Not sure if the drug is still in my system but I’ve only been off it for about 2 weeks now. I’m not sure if I want to start it again.

I’d also like to point out that I’ve had this fullness/blockage/numb feeling in my ears that almost makes me feel like I’m not hearing anything although I know I am? since the tinnitus spike. Not sure if this is normal as well. I would just like to go back to sleep :( Any advice would be appreciated.

Also, I did use earbuds to do these tests as Mimi suggests it and forces the volume to be at 50%. However, the pitch noises are pretty low anyway so I’m not sure how it could have caused damage (Again, many many people on this forum use this app to test their hearing and are fine. So I’m not sure what this spike is, I just hope it goes away soon.)

I also have pain in my ears as well after my tinnitus spiked. Forgot to mention that too.

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. Michael B
      No Mood

Michael B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      '11
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      I would suggest not testing your hearing yourself and not as often. The test tones themselves can cause your tinnitus to spike. Hopefully you'll get relief soon.

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      They can last for over 3 months.

My tinnitus began after a hearing test administered by an audiologist.

If you are able to avoid harming your ears again, there is a good chance that your tinnitus will eventually fade.

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. Striveon

Striveon Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Did your spike subside???

5. PugDog1

PugDog1 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2019