Tinnitus Spike After Playing an Action Game on Xbox 360

Discussion in 'Support' started by Sarah200, Jan 11, 2019.

1. Sarah200
      Suicidal

Sarah200 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cold
      I did a stupid thing, I was bored so I decided to play on my Xbox 360 (action game).

I had the volume low as I always do (I was not wearing headphones) and played for about 2 hours. Afterwards I noticed when I was watching TV that my tinnitus was louder and audible over the TV.

I have never had an issue before with playing games but tinnitus decided I can't play anymore and I'm now suffering a spike.

Will this go down? I certainly have been put off playing ever again.

2. Bart
      Wtf

Bart Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/06/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      If the volume was low you have nothing to worry about, most likely it seems louder to you because of your focus on it.

• Like Like x 1
    3. another sean
      Studious

another sean Member Benefactor Ambassador Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Long duration of low audio
      Why dont you just play with now sound? I've been doing that for years.

4. Julien87
      Not amused

Julien87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure (concert)
      If the volume was low i believe it did not even go above 70db. Which is a totally safe level.
      Is it possible that your posture created some stiffness in your neck? This affects my T.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sarah200
      Suicidal

Sarah200 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cold
      Interesting, I don't think I had any discomfort but interesting.

It's gone back to baseline now. Thank goodness.

• Like Like x 1
    6. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      HI @Sarah200

The solution to your problem is not to ever use your Xbox 360 again because that isn't living and will make your life miserable. The answer is treatment and you should seek this. See your GP and get a referral to ENT for tests then onto a Hearing Therapist for treatment for your tinnitus and hyperacusis.

Although you weren't using headphones clearly the sound source was too loud for your ears. Were you listening through a surround sound system that has 5 speaker setup for example? If so, please remember sound bounces and is reflected off walls in the room you were in and therefore, this could cause your tinnitus to spike if the sound was too loud. Perhaps 2hrs was a little too ambitious, next time try 1hr or less and slowly build-up the time.

The tinnitus will probably calm down but as I've said, the solution is "treatment" not abstinence from the things you like to doing that bring enjoyment into your life.

Michael

• Like Like x 2
    7. PDodge
      Cowboy

PDodge Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bear ate my Cochlea
      Were you amped up? Don't let t stop you from enjoying yourself

• Like Like x 1
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sarah200
      Suicidal

Sarah200 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cold
      My GP won't refer me. I saw her two weeks ago when my tinnitus went louder for no reason but she would not refer me as my ears look fine and she said I can't keep referring you every time your tinnitus spikes.

What treatment are you referring to @Michael Leigh as apart from when I have spikes I can pretty much ignore my tinnitus. And as far as im aware i dont have hyperacusis?

My spike has gone now and my tinnitus is back to baseline and no I was not using a surround speaker, I was listening just through the TV and had the volume low.

@PDodge yes I was amped up as an enemy came out of nowhere, then my sister screamed as it made her jump (made me laugh) but she threw me off so I nearly died (I didn't thought as I'm really good at the game).

9. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      HI @Sarah200

From your post I get the impression that your GP has referred you to ENT more than once? However, have you been referred to a Hearing Therapist for treatment which comes in various forms? If it's okay with you, I will send you a PM and advise you of a procedure whereby your GP has to refer you to ENT otherwise she will find herself in deep trouble. I will not divulge this information in the forum.

All the best
      Michael

• Informative Informative x 1
    10. hoppy

hoppy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert
      I also play sometimes PS4 and I use headphones but the volume is very low, for example yesterday when i was playing with my friends I sometimes have some difficulties to hear what they say.

My tinnitus is due to noise exposure and it's been more than 40 days

So my question is : Is it that bad to use headphones even at low volume ?

11. Emperor-Drax

Emperor-Drax Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/06/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud bang on metal with a mallet
      Should she never watch TV or listen to music again too? They'd all come through the same speakers I'd presume.

12. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Please read the end of my post to Sarah200 where I said: The solution to her problem is "treatment" not abstinence from the things that bring enjoyment in her life.

Michael

13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sarah200
      Suicidal

Sarah200 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cold
      Also I don't use speakers @Emperor-Drax

I have watched TV most of today with no issues.

I also want to say that I'm not a big gamer either so even though I agree with @Michael Leigh about not giving up things I love, playing on my Xbox is not something I love as I'm not a big gamer at all. I only play when I'm really bored as I'm more an outdoors person.

So if I never played again it would not bother me at all.

14. Emperor-Drax

Emperor-Drax Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/06/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud bang on metal with a mallet
      Sounds self-contradictory. First you advise her to "not to ever use" her xBox again, but then you add that she shouldn't abstain from things she enjoys. Unless the post was awkwardly worded and I'm misunderstanding it, which is it?

15. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      My mistake. I should have said the: solution is "Not to never" use her Xbox 360 again... My bad as they say.....:p

16. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sarah200
      Suicidal

Sarah200 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cold
      Sorry @Emperor-Drax just read your post again. I think you're refering to the speakers in the TV itself. I thought you meant I use speakers which I don't.