Tinnitus Spike After Trauma Caused by Valsalva Maneuver

Discussion in 'Support' started by Salva, Aug 20, 2020.

1. Salva

Salva Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unresolved
      Hello everyone.

I am in panic so please excuse if this is a bit confusing.

To cut a long story short: I have performed what is essentially the Valsalva maneuver with some (obviously too much) force over quite some time. I am not sure if this has led to barotrauma.

I have these symptoms now:
      • extremely loud tinnitus spike
      • slightly cloggy feeling in the ear with tinnitus
      I have not experienced:
      • temporary deafness
      • pain
      • vertigo
      This happened an hour ago. I don't know what to do. We are in COVID-19 lockdown in my country and I don't want to risk anything.

Is it absolutely unforgivable to wait and see? Will I risk that this never goes back to what it was before? Tinnitus is so loud now and this spike seems different.

Any advice appreciated!

2. ShaunR

ShaunR Member

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert + Motorbike
      I did the same thing. Performed a normal valsalva and my right ear went very hissy and felt like it went down in hearing (hearing test says otherwise).

I think you've just suffered a minor barotrauma which as far as I'm aware inflames the structures of the middle ear and the majority of time needs no medical intervention. Just takes time for the inflammation to go away... Talking weeks or months.

I'm not a Dr though so If your concerned speak to one.

Shaun

3. Kendra

Kendra Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSNHL/ Acoustic Trauma
      If it doesn’t go away by tomorrow morning I’d go to the ER preferably or make an emergency appointment with an ENT and ask for a week of prednisone just in case. Make sure you tell the ER that you think you have hearing loss and a full feeling in your ear canal and that you can pop your ears. Tell them about SSNHL if they don’t know about it. Advocate for yourself and tell them that unless it’s going to hurt you you’d like a week of prednisone just in case.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Salva

Salva Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unresolved
      Thank you so much.

So far I only had spikes from loud noise so this is completely scary for me. So this is similar to what people have when flying for instance?

If it were not for the lockdown I would go and see a doctor but if I end up with something like "You should not worry and wait it out" because the doctor cannot do anything I would rather pass on the visit.

Did your hissing go down and your T back completely to what it was before?

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Salva

Salva Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unresolved
      Hi.

Symptoms are a bad spike and the dull feeling, no hearing loss from my experience. Now after a few hours there is a second of slight pain if I lift my head here and there but that could by being hypersensitive. Is prednisone a recommended treatment also for barotrauma?

6. Kendra

Kendra Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSNHL/ Acoustic Trauma
      I believe so since it reduces inflammation.

7. Backpacker

Backpacker Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL
      @Salva Just a few suggestions. Don't do any other type of valsalva either for a while, even if it would have nothing to do with your nose. Don't do any excessive straining because that can also put pressure on middle/inner ear membrane(s) from the inside. The pressure you put on your membranes was implosive (from outside), but avoid explosive, too, at least for a while. Try not to cough or sneeze or cry, or if you have to sneeze, do not suppress it in a way that it would cause even more pressure. Do not bend over. Keep your head elevated. Sleep on two pillows.

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Salva

Salva Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unresolved
      @Backpacker Thank you! I tried my best after reading your post.

After some hours of sleep the clogged feeling is slightly better, the hissing/ringing is still super loud however.

I had some minor pain when turning my head three or four times. It is the loud T that drives me crazy.

Have I damaged something permanently? Could I have ruptured my ear drum or sth. in the inner ear?

Can anyone help please bcause I am so scared? Do I need Prednisone?

9. ShaunR

ShaunR Member

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert + Motorbike
      @Salva try not to panic too much as it will only make your symptoms worse.

Why not try speak to a doctor on the phone... I'm not sure what country you are from but in the UK we have a couple of option.

Even if you have damaged your inner ear prednisone isn't the magic bullet everyone claims it to be. Time is the best medicine for many of these problems.

My feelings are you've inflamed your inner ear or something in the middle ear.

Follow Backpacker's advice and you will be fine.

10. Pelestence

Pelestence Member

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ETD
      Hey how are you feeling? Has the spike gone down? I'm suffering something similar so I was just wondering if it goes away

11. akirakurosawa

akirakurosawa Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      tympanogram
      @Salva Seconding Pelestence's question; Did the spike ever die down for you? Or is it still ongoing?