Tinnitus Spike from Olive Oil Drops

Discussion in 'Support' started by mylesm, Nov 1, 2019.

1. mylesm

mylesm Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      I applied some olive oil in my ear today and afterwards I had an increase in sound and a feeling of fullness. Has this happened to anyone else? Also is it bad to push your tragus too hard?

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    2. Allan1967

Allan1967 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Yes. Usually goes away once the oil has cleared.

• Like Like x 1
    3. iwanttosurvive

iwanttosurvive Member

Tinnitus Since:
      14/03/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Potentially ear infection
      Hi,

I've had tinnitus since March 2019, not been able to be seen by ENT due to lockdown. It mostly was a hissing/static nose with a slight ring. Suspect could be due to the ear infection I had prior/ETD/TMJ. In the past two months I also notice i tend to 'hear' a whistling noise from certain sounds e.g. kettle, toilet flush, running water, rustling paper etc.

I have used olive oil before tinnitus with no problems to clear out wax. I noticed using it in the past few months when it would hit my eardrum my ear would ring but the sound would gradually go away once the oil drained. I had a hearing test done yesterday and was told hearing was normal and that i had a slight amount of wax in me left ear (first time anyone has checked my ears since I got the tinnitus) but otherwise ear looks fine. So I put some olive in my left ear and as usual, oil hit the eardrum and the ring started. But it hasn't stopped, even overnight where I usually wake up and my tinnitus is usually more quieter, it is still ringing?

I'm so tired and annoyed it has taken me 5 months to just get to a point of being able to start coping and now this happens. What the hell is wrong with my damn ears? I have a private ENT 21st of September but god, this is ridiculous. I can't do this anymore, I have no idea what is wrong with me, the NHS backlog means I will probably have to pay a fortune for private care and that's if the ENT knows what is wrong in the first place.

Has this happened to anyone else before?

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    4. akirakurosawa

akirakurosawa Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      tympanogram
      @iwanttosurvive Did the ringing from the olive oil drops ever die down? I am considering mineral oil or olive oil, but that sounds like it might be a bit dangerous given your experience.