Tinnitus Spike From Snow Plow Hitting Curb and Making a Clang

Discussion in 'Support' started by object16, Jan 2, 2015.

1. object16
      Magical

object16 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      overuse of hearing protection, plus noise
      Hi, I had to move to temporary accomodation, and I am staying in an old Victorian building, that however is close to the street where buses go up and down, and we had snow yesterday, and the snow plow went by, it hit the curb and made a huge clang like a giant gong sound, which woke me up from sleep, and IMMEDIATELY my tinnitus went from 4+ to 10+. which made
      me very very worried. Also, my street has buses which are LOUD and have a very low frequency loud noise that is very impossible to sleep with all that going on. this morning the tinnitus is at 7+.

my bedroom is on the second floor and it is slightly back from the street, it has double paned windows, but
      that does not help much with the very low frequency loud rumbling from bus exhaust/engine noise and this very loud heavy snow plow machinery.

please help me, I am here to upgrade my skill so I can return to work as a doctor, but if my tinnitus spikes then I can't sleep and will not be able to study and learn. in short, everything is on the line, including my career.

it feels like there is cotton wool in my right ear, I am worried about a threshold shift. at the time i was sleeping indoors on my left side, so my right ear was upwards, and received this blast of noise.

2. I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      I've been hammered with unexpected loud sounds during my 40 years of T.
      When I get injured like this I put half a ball of poly cotton in the bad ear, making sure it's protected during the healing. It sounds like at level "7," your T is already on the way back down.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      object16
      Magical

object16 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      overuse of hearing protection, plus noise
      hi, please tell me i'm going to be o.k.
      i was able to move to a different suite, which is at the back of building, so should be quieter for me.

4. Rhea
      Volatile

Rhea Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Hi,

If you were indoors, with the windows closed, 2 storeys up, I seriously seriously doubt any permanent damage has been done. Any spike is most likely due to stress/anxiety about what happened.
      Trust me on this one..I been where you are many many times x I always try and tell myself after such incidents - this spike is likely due to stress/anxiety and t monitoring and even if it is due to the noise exposure it will come back down as it has before and...... even in the minuscule unlikely chance it is a spike and it does remains I wont always feel it seems this loud I WILL get used to it and it won't sound as bad. Kinda feel telling myself that over and over covers all angles and just keeps me a little calmer.

Great you managed to move room too. Please keep us updated as to how you are doing.

Rhea x

• Agree Agree x 1