Tinnitus Spikes Followed by Long Periods of Relative Silence

Discussion in 'Support' started by Deniseh, Dec 20, 2019.

1. Deniseh

Deniseh Member

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Possibly b12/folic acid deficiency and GERD
      Does anyone get spikes followed by long periods of relative silence?

I normally have a low humming/buzzing in my left ear sometimes with a gentle high pitch intermittently. However walked the dog this morning, came back with a screeching eeeee for approx 20-30 mins and the nothing... relative silence which is only now coming back to the low hum but really quiet and this is now 5 hours later.

Anyone have any ideas? Are my ears healing and just going through the process...

2. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      It is a tough job to predict what tinnitus will do especially for newer tinnitus. It is such unpredictable nature of tinnitus that inspires so much fear for it for new sufferers. This has caused so many of them tip-toeing around tinnitus trying to avoid this and and that just to appease the T bully. In the process we feel like being trapped and being on edge all the time. In reality, sometimes no matter what we do, T just spikes on its own. Sometimes it follows a cyclical pattern, having periods of silence and spikes alternating with each other. So a period of silence preceeding a spike may not be because that silence is bad for tinnitus but that it is what T will do on its own. Saying that, sometimes people like to use sound enrichment so that the is always some sounds for the auditory system to focus on, such that T will only be considered as one of the sounds around the ears. By so doing it lessens the impact of T when it varies its loudness or intensity. Hope this explanation will ease your worry about facing or enjoying silence. Take care. God bless.

• Like Like x 1
    3. bobvann
      Ape-like

bobvann Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud shit
      He is right tinnitus, will do what it does no matter what.

• Like Like x 2
    4. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      I do now.

• Like Like x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Deniseh

Deniseh Member

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Possibly b12/folic acid deficiency and GERD
      Don’t know about anyone else but I find my t is much lower after a full nights sleep and louder if it’s broken
      So that would lead to the assumption that it’s deffo more to do with the brain than the ears x

6. bobvann
      Ape-like

bobvann Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud shit
      That is one of the interesting concepts. It takes part in the brain even though one can feel it vibrating in the ears.