Tinnitus Spikes

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Alan Jack, Apr 5, 2018.

1. Alan Jack

Alan Jack Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi, I'm Alan. I have had mild tinnitus for 17 years now, cause unknown? I am lucky it is not too loud and sometimes I forget about it for a short while.

However I have Hyperacusis ( for 12 years), and any loud noises cause a spike which has always decreased over time, sometimes taking 3 months to do so. On some occasions I struggle to cope and to sleep, having to resort to sleeping tablets and white noise at night.

This has changed my life ,were now if I encounter a loud noise e.g. a siren, alarm, fireworks, loud restaurant etc etc , I have a panic moment, heart pounding in fear . It has had a bad effect on my family and social life which is virtually nil these days. I now fear getting on a plane because the noisy auxiliary power is often running as you board the steps or get off at the other end, sounds like the main engine is warming up . This causes much stress and I have aborted two trips in fear of a spike!

This week, in a supermarket they tested the fire alarm ! I now am experiencing a bad spike and have a ringing in left ear and can hear a ring with each footstep I take. I always fear the next spike, such as this bad one will not dissipate and be permanent. Back to the sleeping tablets!

Anyone experiencing similar problems?

2. David Dubros

David Dubros Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sorry about the onset of your spike.
      I am only a year and 3 months with my T but no hyperacusis.
      My spikes come with anxiety and stress. Thats what brought on my T to begin with.
      I can relate to your fears and your sleeping habits.
      Mine has faded considerably from the onset and am trying to stay hopful that will continue.
      I can only imagine how bad your T gets because of the hyperacusis but i hope you find the relief you deserve.

3. reggie green
      Balanced

reggie green Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/08/2001
      My loud induce, the duration for weeks. I am in mist of a spike now hoping it last for more than month. I'm scared folks seeing an ENT tomorrow