Tinnitus Started During a Hearing Test

Discussion in 'Support' started by Andy9214, Jul 22, 2019.

1. Andy9214

Andy9214 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      7/16/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing test
      I stumbled across this website looking for some answers. I went to my ENT on Tuesday 7/16 as a follow up after being put on prednisone to help with my ears because they suddenly felt clogged. At the visit, I did a repeat hearing test and during the test I developed a loud high pitch ringing sounds in my right ear. It’s been just about a week since the test and I can’t shake it off.

It’s been driving me crazy and I’m having trouble focusing at work/doing daily activities. I called my doctor the day after and he said to give it a few days and it will wear off.

I contacted the doctor on Friday and never received a call back. I’ve been freaking out about this and don’t know what to do.

Does anyone have suggestions on ways to get this to stop? It’s been constant ever since the hearing test.

• Hug Hug x 3
    2. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I developed tinnitus in the evening after my hearing test (which was done as a result of something very minor causing ear fullness). During your test were you exposed to any sounds that were somewhat loud? I wasn't...

If you are able to avoid secondary acoustic traumas (something I wasn't able to do), your T ought to begin fading in about 3 months, and hopefully it will be mostly gone within a year.

Check out
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/thread...eone-else-who-has-tinnitus.26850/#post-307822
      and
      Unfortunately right now time is the only healer. Tinnitus fades (within a year or two) for many people, so it is reasonable to assume that it will fade for you too. All you can do is make sure to be easy on your ears and to listen to your body - if a sound feels uncomfortable, it might be a good idea to avoid it for the next year or two (until you become more resilient). From now on, you might want to stay away from events like loud concerts.

It is possible that new cures will become available within the next few years. Check out the thread about Lenire.
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/lenire-—-user-experiences-and-reviews.35776/

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Andy9214

Andy9214 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      7/16/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing test
      The sounds weren’t anything that loud, so I’m not sure how this would spike such an awful ringing sound in one ear. I purchased a pair of ear plugs just in case, but I’m nervous to go out to bars, or anywhere that might have louder sounds because I really want this to fade away.

Not sure what to do, but I will check out the article. Thank you.

Also, my I still have this sensation that my ears are clogged. I could pop them every few minutes, it’ll clear then go back to being clogged. So it’s a mix of my right ear ringing and a clogged sensation on top of it. It’s hard to deal with.

4. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      May I ask if you have a history of loud noise exposure prior to your hearing test?

Concerts, loud headphones, fire arms, without hearing protection will do it.

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Andy9214

Andy9214 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      7/16/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing test
      I do go out to bars, concert etc and usually don’t have an issue. I don’t go out that often maybe once or twice a month to a bar.

6. Contrast
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      Was there any particular even that you believe may have led to the ear fullness you have?

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Andy9214

Andy9214 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      7/16/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing test
      I went to a concert at the end of June and noticed the ear fullness about a week after. I spoke to my doctor about it and he put me on prednisone.

8. Contrast
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      You found the answer to why you have both tinnitus and ear fullness. (the concert) No need to blame the hearing test.

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Andy9214

Andy9214 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      7/16/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing test
      Yes, I went for the hearing test about a month later and that’s when my ear started ringing. Maybe it wasn’t a direct reason for it, but just a little confused how it could happen like that.

10. Contrast
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      So how did the hearing test go?

11. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Ideally you want to avoid the noise, as hearing protection could provide a false sense of security. It is for the times when you can't avoid being exposed to noise.
      Looks like the test is indeed causing tinnitus...

12. Contrast
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      We would also like to know if your ear fullness worsens in responsible to sound, or if you experience amplified hearing or noise induced pain. Intolerance of sound is a common thing that goes unreported.

13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Andy9214

Andy9214 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      7/16/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing test
      I’ve noticed recently some regular sounds do sound amplified/hurt my ears a little more then they used to. The hearing test picked up that I have high frequency hearing loss, but I’ve always had that since I was a child.

14. Contrast
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      Sorry to hear about the noise induced pain.

Make sure the doctors know you have a history of loud noise exposure.

Rest your ears. Hope you get better.