Tinnitus Started Randomly

Discussion in 'Support' started by Jackthelad, Mar 9, 2014.

1. Jackthelad
      Curious

Jackthelad Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2014
      Hi, I'm Jack. :)

My tinnitus has only recently started (last week) as a high-pitched whistle and I'm not entirely sure how or why it has started. The only thing I can think of that could start it is that I started using a headset when gaming.

The odd thing is that I've taken all precautions when using the headset eg. using them at a low volume and taking regular breaks. Could this still trigger it, or is there something else?

The main reason I came here is to ask whether I should see my doctor or not, because it seems odd to me that it could start so easily.

2. AliHT
      Amused

AliHT Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      Hi Jack!

In regards to tinnitus, sometimes it is not necessarily noise induced. There are plenty of other causes for it, which I think are far too many to mention here(you can always look it up).

What I can tell you however is that the ears work like muscles. You are used to using your muscles in an everyday environment, not caring about the load you put them through and they usually recover fairly well after strenuous work. However, if you overuse/overload them, or use them on a day which they are affected by an illness, they might snap on you. In that case you might develop pain in your joints or muscles, which either could be permanent or not.

That's the same way ears work. People in general do not even sense their ears, cause they are just there all the time and rarely even respond in a negative way(compared say to your nose, mouth and eyes). So the way I attracted tinnitus was because I had a sinus infection, which is fine in and of itself, however it did effect my ears which I did not protect going out. And why should I, I thought, I have never needed protection to go out to a club, that's just silly.

Now here is the kicker. The sinus infection did not cause the tinnitus nor did the club cause my tinnitus. By themselves they could not have caused it. In combination however, they managed to just push my ears over the edge beyond the usual recovery stretch.

To answer your question. If the tinnitus is affecting you and you feel that it has no prior cause then please go see a doctor. It might be another underlying issue which could be easily resolvable. Also, try to remember everything you did prior to the tinnitus. It helps your doctor tremendously.

I hope it solves itself for you, so I do not have to see you around these forums anymore. Good luck ;)

• Helpful Helpful x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jackthelad
      Curious

Jackthelad Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2014
      Hi Ali, thanks for the detailed reply. :D

I usually tend to avoid reading too much about medical conditions online as it's full of horror stories which would make me worry more. :unsure:

I'll probably make an appointment with my doctor in the week if it doesn't miraculously stop. I guess I should stop using my headset for a while too as I assume that could make it worse?