Tinnitus Stops If I Cover My Opposite Eear

Discussion in 'Support' started by Kriszti, Sep 17, 2020.

1. donotringatme

donotringatme Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ETD, TMD, CI
      How Do I Perform a Eustachian Tube Function Test?

Eustachian Tube Function Test

I know the feeling. Before my tinnitus started, I would get it sometimes on both ears and quickly plug my ears and release, a few times fast and it would dissipate within 1-3 seconds. It was the same high pitch static. I think this goes to show that tinnitus, unless it’s an acoustic trauma, doesn’t come in a day. It is an ongoing thing that keeps getting worse until one day it occurs. This goes to show that something bad is happening for months maybe even years. There are many people who aren’t so anxious and get it. Some get it young. The only thing that makes sense is something we all have in common, regardless of our height, weight, diet, anxiety, location, etc.

And that is bones, nerves and vessels. I don’t think thousands of people with unexplained / somatic tinnitus have all narrow ear canals all of a sudden or birth defects because that would get us tinnitus from a very young age. In my case tinnitus I think started coming from when I started thrusting my tongue to my upper palate (mewing) as a way to “fix” my overbite and TMJ.

So, it’s safe to assume at least that all of us have one thing that starts it and certain things that set it on. So, it may be our jaw, doesn’t have to be some severe TMDJ shit. It can be anatomical because the mouth and jaw CHANGE our faces all the time through our lives. So a few thousand of us, eventually get nerve pressure or muscles putting pressure on the ear canal, something HAPPENS anatomically that sets it up. And almost everyone I have seen with this has ETD. Not necessarily from sinus, not necessarily from inflammation to the entrances of ET (which the ENT can see) but through MUSCLE IMBALANCE responsible for opening the tubes or from complications to the OTHER end of the tubes, to the ear (for which I have no idea what could be). Return of proper ET function has a ton of success at ELIMINATING tinnitus, you can look it up.

Regarding the trigeminal nerve, what I have read so far is that “pinched” doesn’t just cause tinnitus but a lot of pain and complications. So it may be pressured? Or just pressure to the ear canal?

I mean, people have pulsatile tinnitus and no one tells them anything. 2 minutes online and you can see it’s a blood vessel issue and angiography should be taken.

It’s all anatomical. Tinnitus, as with everything, doesn’t just come randomly. I have a 96y old aunt living near me with no teeth that doesn’t have the slightest hint of tinnitus. You tell me her vessels are better than mine? No, it’s just that anatomically, something in me is being jammed and hers isn’t.

Isn’t this why people get ups and downs in their tinnitus? How can you heal if you can’t find the cause? This doesn’t apply to noise-induced tinnitus or an ear infection with temporary hearing loss. Those are cases that require time and patience (from what I’ve read) to let the ear heal.

ACV, lowering salt, having a “better diet”, staying away from alcohol and coffee, meditating. Those have positive effect but they never heal someone. All they do is just help with blood circulation, bp and the parasympathetic to help with habituation... that’s it. So, if you take X and tinnitus gets a temporary relief, the question is why. If you take something that influences the blood circulation, then maybe tinnitus has something to do with a vessel being pressed or something. Or a nerve.

I know that when something “has no cure”, it’s eventually beats you and you say “fuck it”, which I’m about to say but I promised I’ll search and find a causation before giving up. I refuse to accept that someone may be suffering from this shit for decades and that ending it may be a relatively simple fix of a nerve release or myofascial work or a splint.

/rant

2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Kriszti

Kriszti Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2016/2017/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I feel awful. I'm nearing 3 weeks with the low hum and it's louder than ever. Normally, judging by the 3 times I had this, by this time it had been either gone or I had some breaks in it. For 6 days it has been constant and so loud, much louder than the bilateral tinnitus I have. It's absolutely unmaskable on a level which I consider safe for my other tinnitus sounds. I'm scared that it will become permanent. I think I cope better than I did last fall, but I don't know for how long I will be able to, because it takes away even the very minimal little joys UHF tinnitus lets me have.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Kriszti

Tinnitus Since:
      2016/2017/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Just an update.

Low hum is still present after 3 months (this is only "newsworthy", because up until this year my bouts with it only lasted 1-3 weeks).

I do have some hours, a day of relief here and there, but other than that it's just awful. Different kind of hell than the high pitched tinnitus, but hell. I think I deal with it better than last time, I'm not constantly suicidal at least, but deeply depressed.

Biggest thing must be that I sleep better. Still very poorly, but better.

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. durham20

durham20 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      22/November 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      fire alarm
      It changed my sleep pattern. Frequent awakening plus more dreams.

5. durham20

durham20 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      22/November 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      fire alarm
      If I cover my ear with my hand, my tinnitus will disappear...

If I use an earplug, it will not...

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Kriszti

Tinnitus Since:
      2016/2017/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Mine behaves the same way, which is rather confusing. If I cover my other ear without the low hum, it still stops for a couple of seconds. If you find a doctor who has any clue what this could be, please share the info.