Tinnitus Suddenly Sorse, Different Overnight

Discussion in 'Support' started by ShrikeArghast, Mar 12, 2018.

1. ShrikeArghast

ShrikeArghast Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Fireworks (not mine)
      Hi All,

So I've suffered fairly tolerable tinnitus since July 4, 2013 (when someone set a large firework off directly over my head while I was walking home from a display) - it was only audible when I put my right ear to a pillow at night, or covered it with a hand or something.

However, on Saturday night, as I was typing on my PC, I abruptly noticed a complete symptom change - my right ear suddenly felt full, and my tinnitus had become audible at background levels. Simultaneously, my hearing in that ear sounded almost "tinny," like a broken speaker, although this appears to have faded in the last 24 hours (or I have adjusted). Additionally, the tinnitus now appears to be stimulated by both somatosensory and auditory inputs - both movement and noises (a sharp cough by me or anyone in the room) make it yet louder, albeit briefly.

My mother, who is an RN, is convinced this is the result of either ear wax (which I have been diligently flushing to no avail) or a sinus infection. However, I've never had the issue before despite being sick dozens of times since the tinnitus developed, and I don't seem to have any other sinus related symptoms (runny nose, etc.). I'm desperately concerned that this is the new reality for me... which, frankly, I will not endure. Tinnitus makes me feel immensely claustrophobic to an almost hysterical level, and if this is now my norm moving forward, I won't last.

Anyone have any experiences in anything like the above symptoms who can offer me any hope?

2. Julien87
      Not amused

Julien87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure (concert)
      Strange. It looks like you're have temporary ENT trouble and that's affecting your tinnitus (which is still the same I guess, you just hear it louder because your ear gets blocked). Do you have other symptomes? Clogged nose?

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      ShrikeArghast

ShrikeArghast Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Fireworks (not mine)
      My right nostril is presently stuffed up but... it's winter. Those things kind of come and go all season. I've never had this issue coupled with vastly expanded tinnitus. I am taking antihistamine to attempt to loosen things up in there.

4. Julien87
      Not amused

Julien87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure (concert)
      I had times where one side of my face (one nostril + one ear) were blocked/clogged. According to my GP this was because of a TMJ dysfunction. I don't know if this is the case for you, but it may be a lead.