Announcement Tinnitus Talk Podcast Launched!

Discussion in 'Announcements & Feedback' started by Tinnitus Talk, Mar 6, 2019.

1. This announcement comes somewhat after the fact, but for those of you who didn’t yet notice: We launched our very own podcast series!

Tinnitus Talk is a podcast on all things tinnitus.
      We aim to engage and inform you, bringing you fresh insights and updates on research, treatments, personal experiences and public awareness. Our hosts – who all have tinnitus themselves – interview tinnitus researchers, healthcare providers and advocates, and bring you real life stories from tinnitus patients.

New Podcast Sub-Forum
      We created a dedicated sub-forum called Podcast, where we will publish a thread for each episode, so that you can discuss after listening.

You can also:
      Listen to Tinnitus Talk on:

We put a lot of time and effort into our podcast!
      There's a lot more that goes into creating a podcast than you might think. Check out below an overview of the number of volunteer hours that go into just one episode.

hours-per-tinnitus-talk-podcast-episode.png

Would you support us financially?
      Podcasts are not created out of thin air. Apart from the 100s of volunteer hours that go into this, we spend money on it as well - partly out of our own pockets, since we operate on a very limited budget. Please find below a breakdown of costs for 2019.

tinnitus-talk-podcast-expenses.png

We set up a Patreon page for listeners who would like to directly support the podcast with financial donations. Patreon is a crowdfunding membership platform where creators can run a subscription content service, build relationships and provide exclusive experiences to their subscribers, or "patrons".

BECOME A PATRON!

• Like Like x 3
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    2. Phendran
      Benevolent

Phendran Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Aw man. I wish I could afford to support on the max tier.

I'd like to do a podcast with you sometime or something.

Heck, I'd be happy to just talk a bit some evening.

• Hug Hug x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    3. Hazel
      Dreaming

Hazel Director Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      one-sided hearing loss (of unknown origin)
      Only saw this just now, sorry! If you're still around we can chat about a podcast episode sometime :)

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    4. Damocles
      No Mood

Damocles Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otitis media
      He comes on about every 2-4 weeks, @Hazel.

I expect he'll see this by the beginning of next month, latest.

• Helpful Helpful x 3
      • Informative Informative x 1
    5. Phendran
      Benevolent

Phendran Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Oh, hello! No worries.

I'd love to be a part still. Due to the heat I will not be able to use my recording setup during summer, but once Autumn rolls around things should be in better order.

Where do I contact you when such a proper time comes?

• Like Like x 2
    6. Hazel
      Dreaming

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Nice! You can just reply to this topic and tag me :)

• Useful Useful x 1
    7. DeanD

DeanD Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Mild since 1982 - then Severe Oct 2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Microsuction (Oct 2022)
      Hi @Hazel - do all the Patreon podcasts come with subtitles (captions)?

What about the live events, do you have auto generated captions on those too?

If not I guess I can download a 3rd party Chrome plugin.

• Like Like x 1
    8. Hazel
      Dreaming

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hi Dean! Thanks for reaching out.

Our full-length podcast episodes are typically released in video form to our Patreon supporters and audio only for the general public. We don’t do subtitles for the podcast videos, for the simple reason that this ends up quite costly, our episodes typically being over 60 minutes in length, and good subtitles still being a mostly human effort. We do typically subtitle our shorter videos (not podcasts).

For podcast audio that goes out to the general public, we do however always create a transcript. It’s a huge pain to be honest, because transcription AI is not that good yet, so I end up spending many hours making corrections, but at least it’s affordable. Most importantly, we believe strongly in providing transcripts because part of our audience is hearing impaired or hearing sensitive.

We’ve done only one live event for Patreon supporters so far, with Dr. Golenhofen (ENT). It was quite successful, in my humble opinion, with a lot of audience engagement. We did it in Teams at the time; next time might be Teams, Zoom, or some other app, we’ll see — and we’ll check on captioning capabilities when the time comes.

Hope that helps!

• Like Like x 2
      • Informative Informative x 2
    9. DeanD

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Microsuction (Oct 2022)
      Hi @Hazel - thanks for the reply!

Did you ever consider YouTube for Patreon supporters?

I say this as I use YouTube a lot (usually over 2 hours a day) and the auto generated captions are 95% good enough 95% of the time. YouTube has been nothing short of a huge entertainment source as I can't listen comfortably to artificial audio, and their auto captions on almost every video (for free) has been amazing. I feel I can watch almost any video and follow along very well.

I use Teams for work. It has automated captions, and they are pretty decent BUT very annoyingly the user cannot just switch them on for group meetings. A one-on-one call yes, but group meetings no. The meeting organiser must switch these captions on before every session - but they do work well.

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    10. Hazel
      Dreaming

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I think we use Vimeo for some specific reasons, @Markku can perhaps say more about that. We just investigated and noticed that we can turn on automated captions in Vimeo as well, and we have now done so for the Rauschecker video, it should be visible to you under the CC button!

I also view a lot of YouTube and must admit that I have a different experience to you when it comes to the automated captions, I often find them very much lacking. AIs tend to struggle particularly with technical and niche topics. For instance, in one of the automated audio transcripts that I spent hours correcting, "tinnitus" was consistently spelled as "tennis", haha. With all the effort we put into creating high quality content, we don't feel good providing captions that are at best ok and at worst misleading. But that could just be our own perfectionism, I do admit!

I want to reiterate that we do always produce a high-quality (meaning corrected by a human, in this case me) transcript of the audio podcast. You can find those by clicking the CC button to the right hand side of the player on our podcast site. We always take extra care to make sure all the technical info and names in particular are correct.

• Like Like x 3
      • Agree Agree x 1
    11. DeanD

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Microsuction (Oct 2022)
      Many thanks for this @Hazel.

I have just joined and just watched the interview with Dr. Josef Rauschecker with the Vimeo auto captions and I was able to follow along just fine :)

A really good interview and really encouraging to hear how committed he is to finding a cure and his imminent and future plans for the various studies he is involved with, especially in San Diego if they can get the approval to include tinnitus patients.

I really do recommend everyone to go join and check it out!

• Like Like x 2
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    12. Hazel
      Dreaming

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Oh that's great to hear! Both in terms of the captions, your enjoyment of the interview, AND the fact that you became a Patreon supporter!

:thankyousign:

Considering our overall listener numbers, it's only a small proportion that choose to support the podcast. Your support really matters and helps us to plan ahead and do more :)

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    13. Nick47

Nick47 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Viral/noise
      Did you join Patreon and then just accessed the Rauschecker interview under the podcast category?

14. DeanD

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Microsuction (Oct 2022)
      Yes, exactly.