Tinnitus That Overlays Other Sounds?

Discussion in 'Support' started by zkdr, Sep 6, 2017.

1. zkdr
      Creative

zkdr Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      My tinnitus seems to play a certain tone over certain sounds or frequencies. It's very faint and glassy. It perfectly matches whatever the "trigger noise" volume is, for instance there is a fan in my house and I can hear my T fluttering along with the sound of the fan fluttering.

Anyone else have this? I have the high pitched tone too but that I have already learned to live with. I'm also easily startled and things seem louder. My ENT says it's because I'm hyper focusing on sounds. What do you guys think?

2. Santos9

Santos9 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Dont know.
      I used to have exactely this problem a few weeks after i got T back in 2015. For ex., hearing watter sound would trigger some kind of boiling sound inside my ears. It was like my ears were reacting to some types of sounds and trying to overcompensate for them. Good news! It went away, just like H a few months later. Turns out it was me being obsessed with all sounds around me and listening to them more than i should. Just try to relax cause its going away, at least this part of the problem. It was damn hard to explain this problem to others at the time, glad you unseratand. My faint and tonal Ts wnet down by 80% after 2 years and i can barely remember them at this point. Cheers.

• Like Like x 3
    3. Salih

Salih Member

Tinnitus Since:
      22/07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      It feels so good reading this because this is basically my worst problem in life right now. Thank you.

BTW; anything i can do to help speed up this process? Sound enrichment perhaps?

• Like Like x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      zkdr
      Creative

zkdr Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      This is great news. I hope this happens for me. It's weird and depressing and annoying, I'm on the second month with T though but I have been stressing out way too much to the point where I had to be put on Abilify and Celexa for depression. I'll wait it out and report back and in the meantime try to calm down.

5. Nathan McAlum
      Hurting

Nathan McAlum Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown. Noise maybe?
      I know this thread is very old, and if I'm breaking any rules I apologize, but I have this exact same thing, almost every single sound I use to mask tinnitus is being overlaid with a new tone, that goes away as soon as the sound stops. For example, whenever I'm near a fan I hear a new high pitch whistle sound fluttering at the same time the fan is running, this stops as soon as I go somewhere silent.

Sometimes when watching TV, some of the sounds are being overlaid with a strange beep that ends as soon as the sound causing it stops. It's very debilitating as I can no longer mask my tinnitus as it just adds more ringing over the sound I use to mask it with...