Tinnitus with Shaky, Jerky Vision (and Possible Improvement with Alexander Technique)

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by SillyMama, Dec 19, 2018.

1. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      SillyMama
      Cheerful

SillyMama Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi, Marianne and DoggoneT,
      Thanks for posting your progress.
      I’m realizing that I have an unconscious habit of tending muscles in my face and jaw. That seems to initiate episodes of tinnitus. Figuring out how to *not* do that (unconsciously) is not easy. But it helps me intervene to keep episodes milder.

My TMJ doc previously offered “cold laser” therapy. I may try that next. I’ll report back.

Warm best wishes,
      Donna (aka SillyMama)

2. KWC

KWC Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear Infection/TMJ ??
      @SillyMama Hello.

My name is Ken and I am undergoing TMJ treatment for my jaw issues and also have tinnitus on the same side as my TMJ issues. I am about 9 weeks into my splint therapy and have had cold laser treatment a couple of times. My TMJ doctor said I might benefit from twice a week laser treatments for a few weeks. My pain level is between mild and moderate and I am thinking there is a good chance my TMJ is causing or increasing my tinnitus.

Have you tried it yet? Trying to see if it serves me benefit maybe to help promote healing and inflammation and maybe hopefully help my tinnitus in the process as I have had three hearing tests and the only thing I can think of is TMJ as I can manipulate my sound with jaw movements, etc.

Thanks in advance.

Ken

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      SillyMama
      Cheerful

SillyMama Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @KWC, Hi, Ken,
      Thank you for posting! I haven't tried cold laser *yet* but I told my TMJ doc that I didn't want to take it off the table as a possiblity. I am eager to hear of your results.

I'm learning to manipulate my sound, too. I know that mine (like most of us with this kind of tinnitus) gets worse during stress, and that something positional is involved. Apparently I direct my tension to my jaw and neck.
      For years I have worn a night appliance built by my TMJ dentist for teeth grinding. But in about 2016, I believe I increased my daytime grinding. The tinnitus appeared the year after.

Fast forward... my teeth have moved, my bite is off, and I'm going to get braces for my teeth at the end of this month. Related events? Probably.
      My (intermittent) tinnitus often reappears as I transition from task to task. I can reduce it now by relaxing and trying to calmly focus on one task at a time ("mindfulness?"). I don't have a clue how to prevent it, though.

Let us know how it goes. There are a number of us on these boards with this kind of somatic tinnitus.
      Regards,
      Donna (aka SillyMama)

4. KWC

KWC Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear Infection/TMJ ??
      @SillyMama, sure thing. I "think" my tinnitus is related to my TMJ issues. My onset was in mid January that started out with some headaches and jaw/ear pain for which I thought was a sinus infection. I went to urgent care and got Augmentin and about 5-6 days later the ringing started and I had for what the ENT told me fluid in my inner ear. I have taken Augmentin before for sinus infection with no issues. I took Prednisone and cleared that up but the jaw issues and ringing continued. Went to ENTs, GPs, Neurologist doctors to be evaluated. I had 3 hearing tests and am told for my age, 52, my hearing is normal (above 90 percentile range). I was also very stressed at that time and am a long time teeth grinder. I ended up at TMJ doctor who indicated my right condyle was positioned posteriorly and superiorly. So I went the splint route and am 9 weeks in of 12-16 weeks cycle.

I would say my pain has gotten milder with the headaches, still have soreness around the TMJ area but my tinnitus is 24x7 and beyond a day or so changing to more static nothing yet. The TMJ doctor said the cold laser might help so I figure it is worth trying since I am unsure what other route to do. I have forward head posture and am doing at home PT for that.

Will provide feedback. My tinnitus is a higher pitch, not sure what level you would call it (for example typing), I have my phone beside me playing sounds that mimic a outdoor campfire (volume about a 1/4 level) and can just hear my tinnitus over the sound.

Thanks,
      Ken

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    5. Emgee

Emgee Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Modern Society = Too Loud
      Hi Ken, were your hearing tests based on standard or extended audiograms?

6. Kendra

Kendra Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSNHL/ Acoustic Trauma
      I really hate it when ENTs say a persons hearing is normal for their age range and brush hearing loss off if there actually is any. Just because a persons hearing is normal for their age doesn’t mean there isn’t any loss or that it shouldn’t be treated or looked into.

7. KWC

KWC Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear Infection/TMJ ??
      @Emgee, the test was done as standard at ENT's office.

Ken

8. KWC

KWC Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear Infection/TMJ ??
      Not too much to report after a couple of sessions. First cold laser eased up the pain.

Second visit was day adjacent to neck steroid shot so I had pain, but not sure if laser or steroid flared it up.

Third visit tomorrow.

No effect on tinnitus. Mainly dull soreness in TMJ and upper neck/ear near TMJ.

May consider steroid shots or Botox in future... not sure.

9. Marianne F
      Fine

Marianne F Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hello again... I can see that @DoggoneT experienced this, but I just wanted to ask did any of my fellow shaky vision, one sided screeching tinnitus with no obvious hearing loss sufferers, undergo Chiropractic treatment for cervical spine problems prior to the onset of tinnitus?

I ask because after receiving such treatment for a punishing three sessions a week several years ago and after extensive research, I’m convinced that this is possibly when my problems began...

In fairness, my pain isn’t so bad now but I’d move heaven and earth to rid myself of the tinnitus. Give me back my sore neck anytime...

I hope you’re all coping with the World as it stands right now and this comes with warm wishes for a Happy Christmas from a not so merry at the moment England...

• Hug Hug x 1
    10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      SillyMama
      Cheerful

SillyMama Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @Marianne F @KWC
      Hi, Marianne & Ken,

Ken, thanks for the report on cold laser; I'm sorry it didn't help. I haven't tried it yet.
      My audiologist says I do have hearing loss (actually in both ears) but it hasn't annoyed my family to the point that they've asked me to get the recommended hearing aids. I'm waiting until that happens... as long as I can.

Maryanne, I did not have any chiropractic treatment before my chirping tinnitus began.
      The picture you use here is a gorgeous view. Is that where you live?

I am still having mild improvement with my interventions of Magnesium supplements (still take that daily - it helps *some*), and anything/everything that I can think of to do myself to reduce stress in my life or tension in my jaw neck. That has helped. Bit by bit, I am lessening the intensity of the chirping, which means fewer episodes of shaky eyes, which bothered me way more than the noise. The tinnitus still comes on, but I'm learning how to relax into it instead of reacting against it, which helps mine subside.

I personally know two people who received COVID19 vaccinations last week, so I'm super excited that the rollout has begun.
      Pieces of the year 2020 were very hard, but overall, I'll remember it mostly as a year of adjustments.
      Parts have also been good.

Merry Christmas and warm wishes for the new year.
      Donna (aka SillyMama)

11. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Single 25 mg dose of (anticholinergic) drug Promethazine
      Hi @SillyMama -- In case you're interested, I made a post on how DMSO helped my eye health--considerably.

12. Marianne F
      Fine

Marianne F Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Good Morning Donna. It’s good that you’re still managing to gradually take control of your tinnitus. Like you, I’ve resigned myself to it and under your recommendation, I also take magnesium regularly. I also agree with your thoughts about 2020. A bit of a mixed bag there, but overall it’s hasn’t stressed me overly and therefore the tinnitus has been a bit kinder.

I think for me the big questions are Why and How? I just want to pinpoint its beginnings. I too have hearing loss in both ears, but only slightly apparently. Interestingly, I have better hearing in the angle grinding right ear. I’ve seen many of them, but it’s clear it isn’t a problem an audiologist can cure. From there on in, as so many of us have experienced, the medical knowledge on this subject becomes nil.
      Stress definitely exacerbates it. When I’m walking my dog in the mornings, it just disappears. Nature takes over. Unfortunately, life gets in the way, so I can’t be wandering around in the fields all day... if only.

You asked about the photo. It was taken from our balcony while on holiday on the Greek Island of Kefalonia. It’s where Captain Corelli was filmed and my husband and I have fallen in love with the place and we try to holiday there every year. Stress free.

Have a very Merry Christmas and hopefully a COVID-19 free New Year. My husband is due to have a vaccination in January and then it’s my turn. Who knows Donna, by some miracle, this could also be a cure for tinnitus...
      Not holding my breath.

Warmest wishes for now and hopefully we’ll chat again in 2021.

Marianne

• Like Like x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      SillyMama
      Cheerful

SillyMama Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Just a check-in. Still 100% sure that my tinnitus is somatic and originates in a muscle instead of somewhere in my brain. Still gets worse during stress. I'm convinced that my habit of clenching my teeth, and the MANY associated muscles are the cause.
      However, magnesium supplements and meditation/relaxation practices DO help me.
      I haven't made my tinnitus go away entirely, but I CAN now manage it to a much lower level where my eyes|vision|equilibrium are not affected.
      So I hope that's encouraging for other jerky-vision folks. It's SO much better because I can walk or drive easily.
      Best wishes for everyone else with the vision issues associated with this kind of tinnitus.
      Donna in Texas
      (aka SillyMama)
      p.s. @Marianne F - love the Greek islands; I've only been once. Good news in 2021 - I've had BOTH Covid-19 shots! Warm wishes!

• Informative Informative x 1
    14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      SillyMama
      Cheerful

SillyMama Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi, @Lane
      Thanks for the recommendation about DMSO.
      For now, I'm only using meds that my physicians approve, but I hope you have good results with it.
      Keep us updated on your progress. Others may want to try it.
      Warm regards,
      Donna (SillyMama)

• Like Like x 1
    15. DoggoneT

DoggoneT Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @SillyMama I can also modulate the Tinnitus / shaky vision with what you called mindfulness. I can consciously calm calm down the T. I close my eyes and unclench my jaw, neck, upper back, arms and calm my racing, excited brain. That and the wonderful back and neck shiatsu massager with heat for really bad days keeps it reasonable. I also take calm magnesium powder. When I skip it, I swear it goes up in pitch and intensity.

Lately, I have a different tinnitus in my left ear (my right one is the one with the daily ticking). The left ear tinnitus is a very high pitched yet quiet tone. Quiet in comparison to the right ear, anyway.

Happy (belated) New Year from Michigan, USA!

• Like Like x 1
    16. Peter Q

Peter Q Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      • Like Like x 2
    17. DoggoneT

DoggoneT Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Have any of you shaky vision folks had an MRI to rule out acoustic neuroma? I had an MRI 20 years ago that didn’t show anything. New doctor ordered one and it is scheduled for 11/27/22. Yes - that is a Sunday. I’ll let you all know what comes of it - although I wonder if any of you still frequent this site.