Tinnitus Worse After COVID-19: My ENT Appointment Is in 12 Days — Too Long to Wait?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by NickMakesArt, Feb 2, 2021.

1. NickMakesArt

NickMakesArt Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Just curious - and I don’t want to come off like an idiot here so please forgive me. I have had ongoing tinnitus issues for my life but only very recently has it become invasive and “an issue” after recovering from COVID-19. It came out of nowhere as a low pitched whistle to a now very loud “dog whistle” in one ear only. I didn’t have health care until this week. My GP has found me an ENT to perform an evaluation, wax cleaning and audio test, etc on February 12.

The short is - is this too long to wait? Not asking in terms of my own “sanity” but rather my ears’ health and my tinnitus. Will waiting this long cause further damage or perhaps allow for the tinnitus to “settle in”?

I am wondering if I should be more aggressive and find another provider. I don’t live in an area with many options. But if I have to I could travel.

I just don’t want to cause more damage if this is COVID-19-inflammation related, nerve related, etc.

All advice is appreciated.

Nick

2. ajc

ajc Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2002; spike 2009; worse 2017-18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music - noise damage
      There's probably little the ENT can do, but I would always try to get steroids as soon as possible.

Whenever tinnitus gets worse, you should try to start on Prednisone within 24-48 hours (the window of opportunity is small).

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      NickMakesArt

NickMakesArt Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Sorry if this has been asked near a billion times already... :oops:

I am on my second round of Prednisone since February 1. I was already on a short five day course, 20 mg twice a day. That was before seeing the ENT. ENT noticed some hearing loss in left ear. Maybe due to my recent COVID-19 infection. (Tested positive December 26, am in post COVID-19 recovery now).

My tinnitus developed at the end of January, after going through a lot of other post viral symptoms. My ENT believes it was a perfect storm of COVID-19, and possibly Ibuprofen ototoxicity.

I am very worried that the Prednisone is causing my tinnitus to spike/sound louder. Maybe the anxiety or “over awareness” of it is causing it? There are times where I feel it’s louder after prednisone. And sometimes it’s lower.

Any positive experiences with Prednisone? I’m on a 10 mg taper. 3x a day for four days, etc.

Thanks!
      Nick

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    4. Piet

Piet Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably prolonged headphone use
      Hey Nick, my tinnitus also got worse from catching COVID-19. Afterwards I found out that my vitamin D levels were low and I'm now on supplements for that so I'm hoping the tinnitus might go back to baseline soon. I haven't seen any improvements yet though.

I'm wondering if you seen any improvement?