Tinnitus Worse After Endoscopic Surgery (Clearing Sinuses, Septoplasty, Turbinate Reduction)

Discussion in 'Support' started by T Toledo OH, Oct 31, 2020.

1. T Toledo OH

T Toledo OH Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/26/20
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Likely loud noise and earbuds
      I had functional endoscopic surgery a week ago, which included clearing all sinuses, septoplasty, and turbinate reduction. The surgeon was clear that it would likely not help my tinnitus. The blockages were found when I had CT scan. I have unilateral tinnitus in my left ear.

On the 2nd day after surgery my tinnitus has increased in volume and pitch is higher.
      It is now prevalent in my entire head. Almost a week into this spike and scared that the surgery did more harm than good. He said that my sinuses are likely still healing and things should settle. I have a bit of pressure in my ears and occasional pulsing on left ear but it is not what I would call pulsating tinnitus as that it is not constant and my tinnitus is steady high pitch hiss.

I am in a terrible shape right now worrying this did more harm than good. I am taking Sudafed/antihistamine, Flonase, Afrin, and Zyrtec. Anyone with a similar scenario would be nice to hear from.

• Hug Hug x 4
    2. Brooklyn NY

Brooklyn NY Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      November 5, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      probably pepto bismo and aspercreme
      Hi, some people on this forum have bad experiences with antihistamines. They could very well aggravate tinnitus. I tried Flonase and had to stop since it aggravated my own situation.

I would personally be afraid of taking so much medication. However, sometimes there is no choice. Best of luck.

• Like Like x 2
    3. Psych
      Wishful

Psych Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Many moons...
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      So sorry that's happening to you. My own tinnitus has risen in volume lately, at the same time that I'm having issues with, possibly, my eustachian tubes. I hope you get some relief soon! <3

4. PugDog1

PugDog1 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Low iron, low b12, chronic sinusitis
      Hi! How are you now?

I had FESS (middle meatal antrostomy) on the 27th October! Found my tinnitus soooo quiet for a week, then got an infection and it came back with a vengeance!

• Hug Hug x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      T Toledo OH

T Toledo OH Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/26/20
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I am wondering if I still have infection. Over 4 weeks post op and still have headache when I move quickly, head pressure, pain behind eye, and constant head tinnitus. I had one follow up and he sucked out my nose and removed stents. Next follow up is on December 1st. The headaches, pressure, and pain behind eyes, and the constant tinnitus is worse then before surgery. I was only on antibiotics after surgery for a week. I think I and going to demand another CT scan and make sure everything is eradicated.

I was hoping this would soften tinnitus but I am no better off and feeling worse.

• Hug Hug x 1
    6. Static Sophie 73

Static Sophie 73 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2002
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Medication
      I would come off the sinus meds you are taking. They are spiking your tinnitus I would say.

7. PugDog1

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Do you know, I feel exactly the same! Maybe the fact that we are both suffering with it means this is a normal part of the process? My doctor has said to me not to expect to feel healed until 3 months post op!

My packing dissolved and came out bit by bit (the first time it happened I sneezed whilst teaching and thought the world had fallen out of my nose!!!)

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      T Toledo OH

T Toledo OH Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/26/20
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      So frustrating. Well I hope better days ahead for both of us. I will update after my next follow up appointment.

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      T Toledo OH

T Toledo OH Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/26/20
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I had my follow up and he sucked a bunch of clots out but that did not help. He said my left ear drum is a bit rigid after doing pressure test. I have been prescribed a compound of antibiotic and steroid to do nasal rinses with which will be arriving this week. I was advised to stop Sudafed and only take Zyrtec at night.

The tinnitus remains in my left ear and same pattern, usually couple weeks on, then almost disappears for 5 days then back again. I am not feeling that the surgery has helped my condition but it had to be done. I am going to give it another month after using the compound rinse and then it looks like CBT and acceptance therapy along with the TRT I am already doing. He said I am still about 5 weeks out from recovery but last few days the sinus pressure has diminished but not the tinnitus.

How are you coming along?

• Hug Hug x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    10. PugDog1

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      That’s so good that you get a follow up appointment! Where are you from? And did you have to pay for this surgery?

I’m ok, tinnitus varies a lot- it’s a hiss right now. My ear pops all the time which leads me to believe something has changed. I’m just really bunged up all the time! When I spoke to my GP about it she just said that it would take a long time for everything to settle down. I think that my poor Eustachian tube has been so crushed from all the swelling and infection in my sinus for so long that it’s just going to be a long process to get back to some working order! I’m just guessing though as I’ve really no idea and the ENTs here would rather throw allergy medication at you than help you figure it out lol.

11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      T Toledo OH

T Toledo OH Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/26/20
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I am in Ohio and insurance covered most of the surgery. I am not congested but just have some head pressure. Sadly I just about over believing surgery would help tinnitus... time to move on and hopefully habituate one day...

• Hug Hug x 2
    12. SectorClear

SectorClear Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/20/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ/ETD/stress
      Any update on this? I'm getting a septoplasty and turbinate reduction in a few weeks and am curious how it will impact my tinnitus.

13. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Single 25 mg dose of (anticholinergic) drug Promethazine
      Hi @SectorClear -- I have a friend who grew up in Michigan with the "worst" allergies. At age 19, she went to a chiropractor who did a technique on her called "nasal specific". It used a balloon to open up her sinuses, and she said she never had a problem with allergies after that. I met her when she was in her 50's. -- Some people have reported tinnitus improvement or elimination from this same technique. I would think it's much safer and probably more effective than turbinate reduction. -- Best...

14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      T Toledo OH

T Toledo OH Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/26/20
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      No change in my tinnitus, unfortunately.

15. SectorClear

SectorClear Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/20/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ/ETD/stress
      Thanks for the info @Lane and @T Toledo OH. I have been having awful sinus issues all year and a CT scan confirmed a deviated septum, with the turbinates greatly expanding to fill the space. So I pretty much can't breathe out of the right side of my nose, and I'm not getting enough oxygen at night since I'm now snoring so bad my wife has to sleep on the couch. Ever since I smashed my nose on my daughter's head trying to give her a hug at the same time as she stood up really quickly, been about 6 months of sinus issues and 2 months of tinnitus.

So I'm stuck getting the surgery on the 28th, I trust my ENT. Gotta fix the structural issue then I'll hit my tinnitus treatment hard, he says it's TMJ so I'm in the early stages there with muscle relaxers and NSAIDs. I know the surgery might even make tinnitus worse for a few months since I'll be swollen, but it'll be good to be able to breathe again at least.

• Like Like x 1
    16. StoneN

StoneN Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      dental root surgery
      Hi, is there any update? It's been a while after the surgery. Do you find your tinnitus better or worse? Asking since I am about to have septum deviation + FESS.

Thanks.

17. Suaimhneach

Suaimhneach Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @SectorClear, how did the surgery go?

My ENT recommended the same for me, but after reading some stories I am insure if I want to get it! Did your tinnitus increase?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    18. SectorClear

SectorClear Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/20/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ/ETD/stress
      Surgery went great, I don't regret getting it. It sucked for a week being able to only breathe through my mouth, but it was worth the ongoing greatly increased nasal breathing ability. No empty nose syndrome or anything like that.

It made no change in my tinnitus except that post surgery, drugged up on Propofol, my tinnitus was at about a 1/10. It came back to baseline in a few hours but that was a very nice few hours.

• Winner Winner x 2
    19. Suaimhneach

Suaimhneach Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      That's great. Delighted it went well for you. Such a tough decision to make after reading some horror stories on here. I'll be kicking myself if it whacks up my tinnitus!

• Like Like x 1
    20. FlatDarkEarth

FlatDarkEarth Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert (2017)
      My ENT has suggested I get a Septoplasty + Turbinate Reduction. He thinks it may help with the yearly sinus infections I get. He did not suggest it would help my tinnitus.

Toledo's experience makes me worry. Has anyone else had a Turbinate Reduction and can give their experience - good or bad for tinnitus?