Upcoming Surgery and Pre-Existing Tinnitus: Septoplasty & Turbinate Reduction

Discussion in 'Support' started by wicki, Jan 31, 2023.

1. wicki

wicki Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely noise induced trauma
      I know there are a decent amount of posts regarding Septoplasty, and I’ll keep reading them, but I couldn’t necessarily find an answer from people who had a Septoplasty after tinnitus.

I had tinnitus onset a little over two months ago, the same time I had a sinus infection, then mono and loud noise exposure with headphones. For a while I couldn’t really identify a cause, but I now figure that noise exposure is the most probable cause.

My tinnitus has improved vastly since the first two weeks, with some up and downs. Most days lately, it’s barely noticeable in quiet rooms unless I make it the focal point of my attention. At this point it’s just a very high pitched, ambient hiss. It varies a lot, sometimes almost gone, sometimes random quiet high pitched sounds. I think I also have ongoing ETD with intermittent pain in both ears.

My question: I have a Septoplasty/Turbinate Reduction scheduled for next week and I’m very worried that the pressure placed on the body will trigger a spike or worse, nullify/half my progress (especially only two and a half months after onset). Any advice from those with experience of a Septoplasty or even surgery (shortly) after tinnitus?

2. Jammer

Jammer Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      I can't answer your question, but ask your surgeon about Empty Nose Syndrome prior to surgery.

It occurs in some who have turbinate reduction surgery. Information below.

What Is Empty Nose Syndrome?

3. Meliora

Meliora Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      crps
      I will have the same surgery but in 4-5 months from now according to my surgeon. I am scared of Empty Nose Syndrome more than any tinnitus spike. Please keep us updated here if you want, I will follow this thread.

Wish you the best and speedy recovery and no complications after the surgery.