Tinnitus Worse at Work. Any Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Support' started by echosata, Aug 13, 2018.

1. echosata

echosata Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown.
      I work in a quiet office environment. The loudest part of my day is the printer, and it's on all the time. Other than that, it's quiet. And my tinnitus feels so much worse here.

When I'm at home, even without music / tv / masking noises on, I hear nothing. When I'm out with friends at a busy bar I can tell it's there, but far far in the background.

But the moment I get to work it gets bad.

Is this because it's harder to ignore here? What gives?

Edit: Also, my inner left ear (the ear my tinnitus is bad in) also itches constantly when I'm at work. I figure that might be because of my glasses, as they are pinching a bit. I need to go get them fixed to fit better. But still.

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      Water sounds on YouTube. I use one called bamboo water something its 10 hours long

3. robHing

robHing Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Do you wear ear plugs or ear muffs ?
      I feel that it is OK to let your colleagues know ...
      your ears have problem.

• Like Like x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      echosata

echosata Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown.
      Well, the printer was right by my desk. I had them move it across the hall. Not much much I can do than to wear ear protection, but I do answer calls all day as well so that would make it tough :/

• Hug Hug x 1
    5. Sam Bridge

Sam Bridge Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music/gigs probably
      Why would you wear ear plugs in an office?

6. robHing

robHing Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Cheer up ... be positive ! At least you still have a job. :)
      A lot of T friends here, they have to quit their jobs
      to avoid the aggravation of tinnitus.

• Like Like x 1
    7. Pleasure_Paulie

Pleasure_Paulie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise or maybe... unicorns!
      Wear ear plugs and musk it. Listening to your tinnitus all day must be driving you mad.

8. Michael B
      No Mood

Michael B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      '11
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      You were smart to have them move the printer. Good for you for suggesting it. If you are right and the printer was causing a spike in your tinnitus, then either your printer was loud or you've possibility became sensitized to it and your emotions were causing you to spike? Curious whether moving the printer makes a difference. If you still have spikes, you might consider the phone as the problem.
      Mike

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      echosata

echosata Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown.
      @Michael B

I had a crazy amount of built-up ear wax, which caused the spike.

The funny thing is is that I didn't notice how loud that printer was until after my ear was cleaned out, and I was sitting mere feet away from it at the time. That's when I requested to move it. It's still close to me, but we are in a small office and there really isn't any other place to put it. But placing it that far away has definately helped some of the pain, just not the spike.

What I learned here is that after an ear wax spike it takes a few months for the brain to readjust, so I'm just kind of holding on right now.

• Like Like x 1
    10. Rainbowsheep
      Cheerful

Rainbowsheep Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music, I suppose
      I have the same problem. And I also work in a very quiet envoirnment. My theory is that it is stress from work. Not that I feel particulary(which I can't spell without a English dictionary, hah) stressed out but I'm significantly more tired when I come home from work than I am when I come home from my study. So I must experience some kind of stress at work that I don't experience at University. And since stress is known to spike T that's my theory on why my T spikes at work. Especially since it settles down to baseline when I have been home for 30 - 60 minutes :D

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    11. John CC
      Pensive

John CC Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Phone ring tone directly in my ear/hearing loss 15% l, 25% r
      Hello Echosata I was thinking the same thing as rainbowsheep. Stress can cause your T to act up. If you feel stressed about something related to work, you need to work it out. It could be something that has always bothered you, a feeling of pressure to do your job, and so with your T. it feels all that harder, or something else. Be honest with yourself in this area. If nothing then possibly it is answering the phone, which is also not a good thing for T. I now always put my phone on speaker. I do not know if you can, if yes, do so. Sharp noises directed straight into the ear can hurt (as is evidenced by a lot of posts). If you are not able to use the speaker, I would try experimenting with different ear plugs, or hold the phone away from, or beside your ear so all the volume is not going straight in, or see if you can play with the volume, maybe even check out different phones, and see if your boss is willing to get you a different phone. If possible, you could also encourage people to contact you electronically. As your left ear is worse, I would definitely try to answer your phone with your right ear. This might lessen the stress and strain.
      Hope this helps. Best of luck.
      JohnCC

12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      echosata

echosata Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown.
      @John CC
      @Rainbowsheep

Well, this has given me a bit to think about.

My stress from my job is because of my job. I've been looking for another one for the last three months because I hate where I work. So every time I come to work I get frustrated almost immediately.

I'm hoping for a break where I can get a new job, but isn't having a job just stressful anyways?

• Like Like x 1
    13. John CC
      Pensive

John CC Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Phone ring tone directly in my ear/hearing loss 15% l, 25% r
      Hi Echosata Some jobs are stressful, oh sure. But, remember, you do have choices called lifestyle choices. The job you have today may not be the job you will have in 2 weeks or a month from now. If you are looking for a new job, think about doing something that you will enjoy, or where the people make bad days ok, and good days great. If you are unsure of doing something new, ask some friends what different career choices, or jobs could they see you in. You might be surprised at what they say. This whole T thing might really be just a wake up call for you to move and find something for you, not just a paycheck which we all need, but something more rewarding. Or it may be just a nudge that you need to leave a toxic environment, and your next work environment will provide you with co-workers that are much more rewarding, and who knows maybe even have some potential good friends you have not yet met.
      Think of it this way, your whole situation, the job stress and the T that puts it in your face is not really a problem, but an opportunity to do something new, learn something new about yourself, and make your life more enjoyable. Problems are really just opportunities in disguise. Flip your situation around that way, and who knows, maybe the stress of work will decrease, and knowing that you are out of there in a while, may actually further decrease your stress at your current place of employ. BUT, make this a real opportunity for change, and who knows, your T may be at work what it is at home.
      Best of luck, and remember you never know unitl you try.
      JohnCC

• Like Like x 2