Tinnitus Worse from Using AirPods Pro / Further Worsening After Dentist Used Ultrasonic Drill

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by NootNoot, Mar 16, 2021.

1. NootNoot

NootNoot Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced
      So I have had tinnitus since 2015 after I went to a club and was standing in front of the speaker for too long. However, it was really mild where almost everything could mask it.

Fast forward a few years, I had another spike when I was in a club and my earbuds dropped but that spike also went away after a few weeks.

THIS TIME, however, my tinnitus has spiked to horrible loud frequencies where it is high pitched and I can hear it almost all the time. This happened after I was talking on the phone with my girlfriend using AirPods Pro for about an hour. The volume of the phone call was kinda loud but we didn't talk much, mostly just on the phone with each other's presence.

The spike continued and got worse after I had my wisdom teeth removed yesterday in which the doctor used the ultrasonic drill thing.

Is this spike permanent or would it get better? It's caused me so much anxiety for the past week...

2. dbeats

dbeats Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      Last year I experienced something similar, where I had been exposed to some loud sounds first, and a week or so later I went to the dentist, where they used the same drill (ultrasonic scaling device?). After a few weeks of time, it went back to normal.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      NootNoot

NootNoot Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced
      Wait, so yours eventually returned to baseline? If so, congrats!! Hopefully mine does too... :(

4. dbeats

dbeats Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      It took a couple of weeks.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      NootNoot

NootNoot Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced
      Did your tinnitus get really loud in those few weeks? How did you handle it? What advice would you give?

Sorry if I keep asking questions... it's just really impacting me currently...

6. dbeats

dbeats Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      No problem, I get it. At the moment, my tinnitus (in both ears) is more in the background, so it doesn't bother me that much. When I had a spike in that period, it was louder, and much more distracting (causing me to be irritated, and worried that it would be a new baseline).

I think the best way to handle it is to get out of the house, go for hikes, hang out with people. Try to focus on things you like, watch tv shows, work on a hobby, etc. These things can help distract you from the tinnitus.

7. Mister Muso
      No Mood

Mister Muso Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2011 / April 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      I've had several spikes lasting between 2 to 6 weeks. I would donate the AirPods to a friend or family member though.

8. creasy212

creasy212 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2007
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      @NootNoot, did your spike from the dentist drill go down? If so, how long? I suffer from tinnitus and hyperacusis, I think relatively severely, I habituated recently (after near 3 years) but a trip to dentist has caused an increase in both tinnitus & hyperacusis - it's been 5 days or so and no change - I'm hoping this is just a spike...

• Hug Hug x 1