TMJ Tinnitus — New Sound

Discussion in 'Support' started by jeas, Nov 27, 2018.

1. Mathew Gould

Mathew Gould Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neck/Jaw misalignment
      Yeah it's a little bothersome when I look down for certain things, I limit this and never do it much... Can this straighten itself out over time especially with my upper cervical chiro??

2. Mathew Gould

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neck/Jaw misalignment
      @Greg Sacramento thanks, yeah it def feels uncomfortable when I'm brushing my teeth, or tying my shoes, etc. Anything where the neck isn't supported is uncomfortable... Another question, which tends to get better first, the neck or jaw??

3. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
      They both need love at the same time.

Information in links is just useful to know.

http://what-when-how.com/dental-ana...ntal-anatomy-physiology-and-occlusion-part-3/

https://trainingandrehabilitation.com/multifactorial-causes-solutions-chronic-neck-pain/

From this article:

What I have also seen, time and time again now, is the same principles as noted above. Massaging will temporarily cause improvement, but over time (if continued), exacerbation. Strengthening on the other hand, will first increase the level of pain, but once the muscle gets healthier and stronger the pain will completely resolve with long lasting results. The provocative tests will also no longer be positive.

Thus, identify the structures that the affected nerve(s) is passing through, and strengthen them. I did outline most of the common entrapment sites earlier, in the neuralgia section. For thoracic outlet syndrome, that is amongst others the scalenes. For the cruveilhier’s plexus, the suboccipitals and upper trapezius, mainly. For the trigeminal nerve, amongst others, the pterygoids. Etc. Be creative, it’s not that difficult once you know that massage is futile and that strengthening is the key.

It is very common knowledge that when treating a muscle strain, this muscle needs specific eccentric strengthening. All football players know that if they stretch a hamstring or a calf, this is what they need to do. So why do we not apply the same principles to the cervical muscles? There is absolutely NO reason why! Dogmatic teachings has led both doctors and MSK therapists to believe that these muscles just need to be released, and not strengthened. This is pure iatrogenic treatment, only to exacerbate the patient’s already horribly injured musculature!

Some patients get a hyperflexion injury, damaging their extensors such as the trapezius, levator scapulae and spinal extensors. With hyperextension, commonly the sternocleidomastoid, scalenes, longus capitis and longus colli, and even infrahyoidal muscles may get injured. If they become completely torn, this is usually spotted with MRI, and if not, it may be found with ultrasound. However, most of the time, they are only partially injured, but sufficiently so to the degree of utter inhibition and tissue wasting.

The only way to manage and cure this, in my experience, is to gradually strengthen the muscles. This is a very painful process, yet a very effective process. It is important, though, that the exercises performed must be individualized. Use provocative testing to find the muscles that are dysfunctional, and treat them.

The exercises must be performed with utmost caution, as even low intensities can dramatically increase the patient’s pain levels to such a degree that they have significant regression. This is not dangerous, and it will subside, but it is unnecessary, and it will scare the patient.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    4. Mathew Gould

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neck/Jaw misalignment
      Ok thanks. My teeth used to touch first on my left side of my mouth and I'm noticing now that both sides of my teeth close normally at the same time. I think this new upper cervical chiro is guiding me in the right path so far after 3 adjustments. The first adjustment, she must have pushed on my atlas 50 times. The previous NUCCA I didn't like, only used a tool and did 1 quick adjustment.

5. Mathew Gould

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neck/Jaw misalignment
      @Greg Sacramento

Hey again, thanks for the help. What is the name of the procedure for the injection? What do they inject into you and where? I'm thinking about doing it.

6. Greg Sacramento

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Your new upper cervical is doing the procedures that I had mentioned to you several times and provided explanation links. Good show - I would consider continuing with that. Continue to eat, sit, walk and brush your teeth not looking to far down as the jaw/neck mechanics can be stressed.

7. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      so can anyone answer this?

does tmj pinch auditory nerves thus blocking input which causes tinnitus???

if not what else is at play here?

• Good Question Good Question x 2
    8. Mathew Gould

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neck/Jaw misalignment
      Problem is I've been being careful for over 1 year... Say my upper cervical got everything straightened out. What's a good time frame for the nerves or inflammation to get taken care of?

9. Greg Sacramento

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      • Most likely there's no nerve entrapment taking pace, but maybe a slight amount of nerve compression. This will heal itself once the axis area is back in balance. The upper cervical knows what needs to be done.
      • Standard from therapy manuals and copied. After present axis treatment, the therapist may strengthen the suboccipitals, levator scapulae, scalene complex, longus colli, longus capitis, sternocleidomastoids and the lateral pterygoids. Release of temporalis and suprahyoid muscles.
      Forward head posture may exacerbate the compressive forces within the TMJ as the suprahyoid musculature will tighten as the head comes forward and pull the mandible further posteriorly, increasing shear forces within the joint.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
      • Informative Informative x 1
    10. Mathew Gould

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neck/Jaw misalignment
      Usually left side of neck has a little pain, tonight no pain on the left and a lot of pain on the right side of neck. Weird, it must be muscles or something.

11. Greg Sacramento

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure as research leads to several possibilities after an adjustment or other therapy to the axis complex.
      The lower c spine and the lumbar spine might also need consideration if shoulder height is still a little unbalanced.
      Including or beyond my links above here are some considerations.
      Muscles of neck - ones mention in posting above.
      Muscles may have been unbalanced before treatment. A slight imbalance may now be on the other side. It's hard to say as it may just be temporary soreness from therapy.
      Muscles could just need to be strengthen. Read post #33 above.
      You mentioned that your teeth on both sides now touch. This shows positive overall improvement including posture balance. This is good news for the pterygoids, temporalis. suprahyoid muscles and jaw joints as mentioned in post #39 above.
      If your pain continues and isn't temporary then radiological testing may be needed or very gentle muscle strengthening. I can't advise. I just don't know.
      I don't know what more to say to your quote - other from posting and links above.
      We talked about possible injuries and posture.
      I'm glad that you decided to try the kind of gentle axis therapy that I previously mentioned, but only a therapist and or doctor can advise at this point.

Update: How I ever wish you success. How is your TMJ and tinnitus now?

Last edited: Jan 17, 2019
    12. Mathew Gould

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neck/Jaw misalignment
      Shes actually doing my atlas... It's a small sample space, but the last 10 days my tinnitus has been more frequent. More days of it being annoying.

Any clue with my tinnitus, if it goes away, does it tend to quietly fade away or just abruptly go away?

13. Mathew Gould

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neck/Jaw misalignment
      Yeah the last 10 days my tinnitus has been more frequent. Also I've noticed the last 4-5 days my neck has been hurting more, most likely my neck muscles. Are the muscles gonna hurt if they are trying to get better in the beginning?

14. Greg Sacramento

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      It's good that both sides of your teeth close at the same time, but the therapy training video treatment that I posted for you showed a very gentle sideways movement with use of the therapist side of hand. I won't think that she's was actually pushing straight down, but if she was then ask her why.

15. Greg Sacramento

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      • Helpful Helpful x 1