To heck and back

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Robert Fahey, Jun 8, 2013.

1. Robert Fahey

Robert Fahey Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan, 2012

Tinnitus started during a low point in my life. A bunch of stress "pancakes" dropped on my plate faster than I could eat them:

Aug. 2011 -- Second son born, colicky baby.
      Oct. 2011 -- Mother dies of complications from MS.
      Dec. 2011 -- Workplace quakes with talk of buyout, layoffs etc.
      Dec. 2011 -- Manager who had always helped me with $$ quits.
      Jan. 2011 -- Winter cold turns into sinus infection, hits hard, reaches inner ears.
      Jan. 2011 -- On day 7 of Amoxicillin, I detect a steady ring in left ear, sounds like hearing test.
      Spring 2011 -- Sound migrates to both ears, settles at more of a hiss than a ring, very loud when I chew.
      Spring 2011 -- Anxiety/depression/insomnia/nightmares, start losing weight due to inability to eat well.
      Spring 2011 -- Fluid leaks into right retina, a reaction to stress, causes distorted vision.
      Spring 2011 -- Cannot work full shift, spend hours in basement hiding from family, pretending to "rest."
      Spring 2011 -- Becoming not suicidal per se, but ambivalent about living.
      Spring 2011 -- Visit psych. dept. of hospital, leave with prescription for Zoloft and Lorazepam.
      Summer 2011 -- Virtuous cycle begins, energy and attitude recover, get off Lorazepam but stay on Zoloft.
      Winter 2012 -- Taper off Zoloft very gradually, completely off by spring.
      Spring 2012 -- Back to relatively normal, but brain fog still creeps in during low-energy periods of the day.
      Summer 2012 -- Arizona vacation at the cave-like Sheraton Wild Horse reminds me I'm still a bit fragile.
      Fall 2012 -- Brain fog fully evaporated, nothing remains except the T, an electric hiss that often pulsates, akin to an ultrasound, reminding me unnecessarily that my brain is working and blood is flowing, both good things I suppose.
      Spring 2013 -- I'm joining this forum to help others keep their heads together. I see many young people here wrestling with T on top of other stressors, like school. I'm not a professional counselor, but then again most counselors haven't fought this particular fight.

Robert Fahey
      rfahey@wobfm.com
      781-718-9872

2. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      Hi, Robert, and welcome!

Thanks for providing the time line up to where you're at right now.

Do you still have the T in both ears, along with the occasional pulsating? I have the electric hiss sound, too, plus the pulsating. Yes, I do think having some other major stressors in your life at the time the T started could have brought it on.

Glad you're coping well with it now, and we're glad you joined this forum!

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Robert Fahey

Robert Fahey Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan, 2012
      Electro-static hiss in both ears, sometimes low thrum also, like a distant approaching helicopter. Waiting to hear transmissions from Mars Rover any day now.

4. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      I'm sorry you have the hiss in both ears, plus the thumping sound. Mine is only in one ear, and that's bad enough!

It sounds like you are coping well with it now, and it's good that you were able to get off the Zoloft successfully. I had the brain fog for awhile, too, and it wasn't very pleasant. I'm still not sure what it was from. My severe tinnitus started after taking blood pressure drugs, and it took me many months to get off them. For me, there were withdrawal effects from those.

Are you taking any natural supplements for tinnitus now?

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Robert Fahey

Robert Fahey Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan, 2012
      I'm taking nothing. I haven't even thought much about my T until I stumbled across this page and read accounts of others struggling to adapt.